Removing heads

lowrider

K, guys....going to the wrecker's this weekend to start assembling my parts pile for the disco potato's resurrection. Anyone removed the heads from a VG30e/i before? Any tips? what tools will i need other than a socket set, etc...anything special?

My wish list to leave pick n pull with:

Heads

Fan Clutch

Rear Axle Shafts

Spare tire rack studs

CV Shaft

Pass. side e brake adjuster

Driver side parking light

Well, if everything goes well for me I will have the heads off my replacement in a few days. I'll let you know if I come across anything weird. But I'm sure Slick and Dave will have you taken care of by then!

one snag i ran into was there are 2 small screws in the heads one on the back side on the pass side and 1 on the front by the dist thats on a lil flange that i didnt see and if u dont get it either u will break that flange off the head or it wont come off at all

also for the intake u might need an alan head and/or some u joints to get to some of the nuts

for the exhaust maybe a pry bar i'd loosen both sides of the exhaust and then pry each side away form the heads since u rn't keeping the exhaust instead of fighting with breaking all the bolts loose as well as a can of PB blaster or wd40

u might need an easy-out set to get some exhaust studs out b/c more than likely some will break and its easier to remove them when the heads are off of the block (but not really to pull them off that'd be after u got home)

the head bolts are an alan head i cant remember what size it was

for the cv's the easiest way i found to break them loose is if it has manual locking lock them and use the tire and rotate it so the wrench hits the frame and it makes it extra easy to break loose...

for the fan clutch if u have a 10mm racheting box end wrench that might make it a lil easier

for the rear axle shafts i cant remember the pitch and thread of the screws u might need to use to press the drums off of the axle but i know my driver side i cant beat the drum with a hammer or nething to break ti loose always have to use the screws

also an adjustable wrench to undo the egr from the exhaust

Edited by unccpathfinder

head bolts. allen socket 10mm

little 10mm bolts at the end of each head (one on each)(i used a 10mm socket for those guys)

intake 6mm allen wrench (take small wrench with you for leverage)

um.. lemme think... hmmmmm.. depending if we're talking complete motor to pulling heads.... you will also need a 12mm socket..... a 14mm socket.... a flat head screwdriver.... a phillips screwdriver....... pliers or something to get clips off.... a sharp knife...... and patience.

mas K9 said.. be careful how you take all that stuff off, there is an order and you can cause arpage if care is not taken. also.. do not pry the heads off with force.. you will cause damage.. be gentle.. even the most stuck heads come off with coaxing.....

i am sure i'll think of more....... but that outta keep you busy for a bit. so.. breakdown:

sockets:

10mm

8mm

12mm

14mm

screwdrivers:

phillips

flat head

wrenches:

10mm

12mm

itty bitty tiny one for the allen wrench

other:

10mm allen socket

knife

pliers or other for clips

6mm allen wrench (longer the better and a loose one.. not one part of a set cuz it won't fit)

ratchet (obviously)

extension bars (one short one long)

beer -alcohol-

patience :furious: