power steering sensor?

madhatter_xe

Howdy folks,

Does anybody know the name of the sensor that threads into the front of the power steering pump...I think? It sits right behind the rad. and its a small grey box with 2 wires coming out of it and those thread into the PS harness, I believe.

I got into a smash-up and my rad. came back and broke it off....then the fan belt shredded the two wires off. Hope it isn't too pricey, i've already dumped enough coin into repairing this thing.

I think the sensor controls idle speed...so when your truck isn't moving your idle will increase to pump your power steering fluid, but i'm not sure.

Thanks for any info. :beer:

Edited by madhatter_xe

;) i just replaced that on the purple turd... it's called a power steering pressure switch and it's here:

easily replaced, it unscrews... i suggest you hit up a JY for this part as my Nissan dealer wanted $66 + tax for it.... nobody else has one... except....... the JY. I got mine, on free permanent loan from my local JY off a 300Z ;) sly

Edited by Slick

It is ridiculous. The Nissan dealer in town is notorious for being about as useful as a chocolate teapot. She faxed me a couple more diagrams and I pointed it out for her. $109 CAN. :wacko:

Thanks for the heads-up Slick, i'll hit up a J/Y this weekend.

sssh mmm.. not in my town.. i tried everyone around before i hit up the local JY... and i hit the jackpot there........ gawd i love freebees! -bounce-

sssh mmm.. not in my town.. i tried everyone around before i hit up the local JY... and i hit the jackpot there........ gawd i love freebees! -bounce-

Did you try Napa? Enter that part number in a search at napaonline and it comes right up... price is high but my local Napa would discount it for me :aok:

But at any rate, a wrecking yard would be the least expensive by far ;)

whoa, i hadn't checked back to this thread for a couple days, thanks for all the info Redpath and Slick!

I knew I should've grabbed one when i was at the JY a while back. Nearest JY with any Pathfinder's is over 2 hrs away! :( The search begins!

whoa, i hadn't checked back to this thread for a couple days, thanks for all the info Redpath and Slick!

I knew I should've grabbed one when i was at the JY a while back. Nearest JY with any Pathfinder's is over 2 hrs away! :( The search begins!

my JY doesn't have any pathys either.. i got my switch off a 300Z sly also.. look for maximas with the same set up as ours...there are plenty of maximas in the JY's here..... -bounce-

-thnkboutit- BAH....well it looks like i'll be paying dealer cost for this one.

Get this, The JY won't sell me the pressure switch b/c after they remove it, the pump is useless and they can't sell it.

What a frickin joke! thats like saying they can't sell me a water pump b/c then the engine is useless...un-frickin-believable.

Get this, The JY won't sell me the pressure switch b/c after they remove it, the pump is useless and they can't sell it.

What a frickin joke! thats like saying they can't sell me a water pump b/c then the engine is useless...un-frickin-believable.

:blink: have we ever heard of THEFT? my PSPS got the pleasure of sitting between the "ladies" on the way out........ :nono: no pay for such an item :hide:

That statement is complete bull@!*% because the sensor is located on a hardline, not the pump itself. They just don't know that, or they were screwing with you.

have we ever heard of THEFT? my PSPS got the pleasure of sitting between the "ladies" on the way out........  no pay for such an item

That isn't really an option..fraid my "ladies" just aren't big enough :P And they'll be mailiing the part to me.

That statement is complete bull@!*% because the sensor is located on a hardline, not the pump itself. They just don't know that, or they were screwing with you.

Yeah, thats what I told'em, it is complete BS. I think they're just too damn lazy to put the PSPS in the mail.

Just hope no one takes too much intrest in your ladies and catches ya :X

:nono: that would entail 2 black eyes and a broken nose for them..... the place was virtually empty.. you could hear thunder in the distance and it was raining.. but i was DETERMINED to get the pathy runnin THAT day so i was onna mission. and broke. used my last $4 to get me n dave in there. spent enuff on the motor as it was. i DESERVED that PSPS..lol :P it was the only thing stopping my pathy from running ... it had to be done....... desperate times call for desperate measures P...

it was the only thing stopping my pathy from running ... it had to be done....... desperate times call for desperate measures 

Is the PSPS that necessary? Does it just increase the RPM's so you can pump more PS fluid when your truck isn't moving? like in a parking lot. Or will it actually affect how your truck runs?

my truck is still running fine, it rev's high(2000rpm's) in park and neutral and obviously doesn't turn as well when stopped.

But other than that i haven't noticed much difference. I'm hoping the PSPS will bring my idle back to normal when in Park...but who knows. :crazy: that could be anything.

Edited by madhatter_xe

the only thing i can think of would be the fact that those are high pressure lines so without pressure control may cause damage to the pump over time.

i tried to find info about it in the FSM but nadda there. but that would be my guess as to what could happen. without pressure control over time = damage. IMOO

The only thing that switch does is raise RPM's by 200 or so when the line pressure goes down. If I remember right. It's a simple pressure switch, off or on. Nothing will be damaged by not having the switch, the pump was designed to NOT overpressurize the lines...what do you think happens to that baby at high RPM's? ;)