Maxima Engine

Extreme90path

Guys I was wondering if a 1990 3.0 maxima engine will fit in my pathy. I know I would have to change over the intake and such, but the block and heads is what I am after. So any info would be great. Thanks guys!

Should be the same, but remember to measure crank snout length to make sure everything will swap over. They need to be the same.

he's right ... you'll have to compare the crank shafts between the two ...

there's a post about this already somewhere ... and I listed a part number for the Long crankshaft balancer/pulley ... it's what I had to use for the 300ZX motor I swapped in to my truck ...

you dont have to swap the crank shaft ... just the pulley/balancer on the front of the engine ... and in case there is any confusion, I put a NON Turbo Z motor in mine ..

however, the turbo WOULD be easy, except that there is no room between the firewall and engine to mount the turbo on STOCK manifolds... notice I say stock... if you wanna learn more about the swap, do a search for Datsun 510 swaps ... there are a couple of really good threads and articles on both naturally aspirated and turbo VG swaps ...

... and you would have to carry over the ECU and wiring harness too...

there's one guy that I remember talking with about this swap, and he said if he had it to do over again, he would have gone with a small chevy instead ...

• 1 year later...

im back home and paid a visit to the junkyard where i used to work every now and then and he has 2 86 VG30 motors out of an 86 maxima that he said i can take my pick from they both have 110k on them...but my ? is will it work or not b/c i havent pulled my old motor yet so i dont know the length of the output shaft of mine and i dont wanna screw up on this...plus im 120 miles away from my truck now so i cant really pull it and measure

Well this is my two bits for what it's worth. I agree with Matter Horn that the Datsun 510 comunity is an excelent source of info on this subject, in particular I can and will give you the name and number to a shop in my area that I used to deal with alot back in the days that I drove 240Z's and dimes. The shop is called specialty engineering in New Westminster B.C. Canada (604) 521-9232. These people have been involved in racing Datsun and Nissans for a long long time. If Tracy answers the phone don't be put off because she's a woman... she knows more about cars and engines than most of us put together. Also if you need fab work done or a high output engine built, while not cheap... you get what you pay for!

As a side note I thought that the bell housings were different between the front and rear drivers... or were Maximas RWD back in the mid 80"s? I'm new to the VG30E and have alot more experiance with "L" series engines and NAPZ hybreds with sidedrafts...yeah! (oldskool).

The other thing to think about with a engine swap is engine management and what you want from the powerplant, if you plan on leaving it more or less stock I'd stick with the factory ECU in one form or another, but... if you were to say dump in a forced induction engine or a Chev etc. a friend of mine builds standalone engine management computers that are about the same price as a chip (BTW I don't get anything out of plugging Dave or specialty there just good people that I trust). I run this on my heavily modded turbo VW GTI. I will say for the record that this system is not for the amature car buff as it is not as simple as plug and play, there is alot of tuning involved and a certain amount of swearing during the learning curve. My car would be impossible to make run on factory electronics even with piggybacks. I also think my car would have been easier to tune if I had done a few things differently but thats part of the learning curve lol, and having more than one finacial obligation in life. Also this computer is NOT water proof so mounting it in the engine compartment or any where it can be exposed to the elements will lead to a possible long and cold walk Most people mount the box around the glove box and seeing as P/F's seem to have a large one it shouldn't be too much of an imposition for the computer to be mounted within. The good thing about this is that it will run almost any sensors that you have and even a combonation of sensors from a junk yard if need be, also the engine that I stuck in my Dub had atleast 80 wires in the harness going to the computer, after figuring out what I needed I was down to 18wires for the final harness that I made. I can't quote a price on this but I think Dave sells the boxes for about 500$ CDN plus shipping, with that you get tech support for life and you'll learn alot about the inner operations of your engine. <www.fireandfuel.ca> Tell him Ted sent you!

All the best,

Ted.

Edited by Random

Thanks Ted...thats a lil outta my league im just trying to make my truck run again not really worried about making her quick...well i've called a buncha machine shops here and no1 can really tell so it looks like im going to be doing some free labor for my buddy at his yard cuze they have an 87 4x4 wrecked nose end (motors bad cuze he pushed everything in on the timing belt cover and it came off and broke the harmonic balancer and all that good stuff) so i guess im going to be dropping the tranny off of it and comparing the pathy motor to the maxima motor and see if it'll work

the maxima motors he has are front wheel drive...really wish my cuz would go ahead and say you can buy my pathy esp teasing me last night by letting me drive it around town for like 2hrs cuze theres nothing else to do here