I smell Gas when I start the pathy up.

SLOVAK69

Last weekend I put in new sparkplugs and tightened the throttle cables on my paythfinder, and ever since, I get a very strong raw gas smell when I start it up. after I drive away, I cant smell raw gas anymore. It not me producing the gas...petroleum gas.

could I have the throttle cables to tight? What is the recomended tension on those cable? Try and see?

much more power with the new plugs, but the old ones were dead.

thanks

I'd say let off the tension on the throttle cables and see if the gas smell goes away......

The other option is a tiny little fuel hose that runs under the intake manifold......Check the clamps on either end of it.....could be a little loose.

The other option is a tiny little fuel hose that runs under the intake manifold......Check the clamps on either end of it.....could be a little loose.

That's the problem i had with mine.. that little fuel tube, in the cold the clamps would get loose, and piss out alittle gas, after 5-10min of driving it would go away.

Check all your fuel line connections, one is leaking. Throttle cables won't give you a gas smell with the engine running...it's sucking air in after all, not letting it out. Unless you count the exhaust, but I doubt you'd smell raw gas from the tailpipe without it running really badly.

The other option is a tiny little fuel hose that runs under the intake manifold......Check the clamps on either end of it.....could be a little loose

^^ thats my guess^^

It happens just like you said delavoie. After a couple of minutes, it stops doing. it.

so you said you just tightened the clamp, and the problem went away? Is the clamp after the soft fuel line from the filter to the manifold? or are the other clamps buried way deep under the intake manifold?

I went to tighten mine and one of them was rotated so I couldn't get the screwdriver on the head of the screw. Had to force it to rotate before I could tighten it.

• 1 year later...

Hey, I am new here, actually stumbled on this forum looking for this exact problem for my 92. i smell fuel in the cold weather now too, but it looks like this hose is actually cracked at the bottom, and not just leaking from the sides due to the tightness of the clamps. is this an easy change for someone who doesnt do much work. I have changed brakes, water pumps and alternators, often with help, so i can do some work, but i am not a mechanic. is it as simple as it looks, take one hose off, put another in its place? if so, what size hose should i buy?

thanks for any help, i wish i would have known about this place 5 sooner, would have helped out with so many other things.

Hey, I am new here, actually stumbled on this forum looking for this exact problem for my 92. i smell fuel in the cold weather now too, but it looks like this hose is actually cracked at the bottom, and not just leaking from the sides due to the tightness of the clamps. is this an easy change for someone who doesnt do much work. I have changed brakes, water pumps and alternators, often with help, so i can do some work, but i am not a mechanic. is it as simple as it looks, take one hose off, put another in its place? if so, what size hose should i buy?

thanks for any help, i wish i would have known about this place 5 sooner, would have helped out with so many other things.

Yep, as easy as it looks. Just a pain to get your hand in there to get the hoses on/off. I'm not sure on the size, but you can (if you have other transportation for a short while) take the hose with you to the parts store, and match up the sizing. :aok:

Yep, as easy as it looks. Just a pain to get your hand in there to get the hoses on/off. I'm not sure on the size, but you can (if you have other transportation for a short while) take the hose with you to the parts store, and match up the sizing. :aok:

thanks simon. i do have other vehicles to use, so i will do that. do i need to worry about fuel leaking out when i take it off at all, or does it only go through when the engine is on?

You may get a little bit, but shouldn't get much. If you're worried about it, take the fuel pump fuse out, and start the truck and let it run until it dies.....that will ensure most of the fuel in the lines is burned off.

Wow, I better check mine out, since I work with gas and other petroluem products all day, I thought it was just me smelling and not comming from the truck. Thanks for this little update/post.