rear window issues

tecciball

lets see if anyone can help me diagnose this:

the rear driver side window is very tempermental. it will go down with the front driver's switch just fine. it will go up with the front driver's switch once every thousand attempts. the switch on the rear driver door does nothing. since it goes down fine with the front driver's switch, and up fine when the front driver's switch chooses to work, i think that the motor is just fine. the front driver's switch has dirty contacts and probably needs cleaned or replaced. i also think that the rear driver's switch has very dirty contacts or is just busted and needs cleaned or replaced. thoughts?

the rear passenger side window is also annoying. it will go up and down with the rear passenger switch just fine. the front driver switch does nothing. again, i think the front passenger switch contracts are dirty and need to be cleaned or replaced. thoughts?

also to note - i bought the car used. it appears that the previous owner was a complete slob and a smoker. stains on head liner and carpets. scratches on the plastic in the cargo area. etc.

current fix - turn the window lock on so that none of the windows are suck open...

Your assessment is probably right. The switches are likely bad. Verify this by unplugging the switches from their wiring harness (after you remove the driver's side armrest) and trying to manually "short out" the appropriate wires to operate the windows. If the windows operate well, then the switches are bad. If the windows don't operate well, then the motor or wiring is bad.

the switch panel on the drivers door is more temperamental because that is the door that is opened and closed every time the truck is used. You may just have loose/bad connections in there - the switch connections are inverted, so gravity is working against them as well as vibration.

I have had a similar problem as well. Dealer diagnosed the front switch as the problem but the problem came back after the new switch was installed.

What happens with mine is the rear windows (both) will go down al the way but not back up (they work fine if they do not go down all the way). With any switch. The dealer now says that the motors get a "bad" or electrically dead spot on them and the best way to get them up is to bang on the door while holding the switch in the "up" position. Works for me. Now I just do not lower the rear windows all the way down. Window motors are expensive.

Not sure about the shorting out part, on my 02 there are 4 wires on the harness at each rear switch, do not know about the front. And the wiring routes through the ECU, for alarm and key fob operation of the windows I believe. So shorting out the wrong wires may lead to a fried ECU so be careful.

Good luck.