Add a REAR Tire Rack

Guest 87FairOaks

Guest 87FairOaks

Just bought an '88 Pathfinder. I had an '87 before with the spare on the outside on the back. Has any one sucessfully moved the spare out there? Did you use a stock rack like the XE has? Did you find another aftermarket one. How did you do it??

thanks

Yeah, when I need to carry a full size spare (serious offroading), I put the roof rack and spare on the roof.

And then wince as I watch the gas gauge plummet...

When I'm not going off road, I carry the baby spare in the back. It'll get me to the nearest repair shop and doesn't present any windage. :aok:

Nissan has a kit that allows you to install a stock external tire carrier on any Pathfinder. It costs around $50 IIRC and can be installed fairly easily. There are no known aftermarket external tire carriers that bolt on the same way as stock ones do. Also, tire carriers were highly optional. It doesn't matter what trim level your Pathfinder is (XE, LE, SE, E), it could have one installed if you wanted it.

I figured out how to get the brackets inside the body... Remove the taillight on that side. Sorry for the confusion. It's totally possible to install one on a Pathy that didn't have one to begin with.

TING!

Really? It's that easy?

A rear tire carrier is back on my list of things to do! Better do it quick... once others find out about this being so easy, the demand for the few decent racks in jy's will soar...

Yeah, it's that easy. I took a couple apart in the junkyard a long time ago and it finally dawned on me that that was how I took the damn brackets out in the first place.

I don't want one anymore, personally. I think my Pathy is quite heavy enough and it doesn't need another 150-200 lbs hanging off the extreme rear end of it. Last truck scale I went past said 4400 lbs with no spare, half-tank of gas, and me in it. I weigh 180 lbs.