My new bumper

tmorgan4

Just finished building it, wanted to get some more opinions. It's too cold out for Herculiner tonight, so I'm doing it tomorrow during the day. Here's a few pictures in my SMOKY garage. I'll get some better ones tomorrow.

536966360_Picture%20024.jpg

536966361_Picture%20028.jpg

Questions, Criticizm, Compliments? I'm open to all of it. :D

Of course I had to do some sort of durability testing before it was finished. I tested it on all sorts of things like signs and trees. The good news is it passed! I'll take pictures the next time it snows, it's easier to "accidently slide" into things when it's slick out. Is your friend on the board?

It is really easy to throw a chunk a receiver tubing under the upper square box... just think of all the things you can mount to it... racks to winches P...

If you put bedliner on it make sure it is herculiner.. the rest of the brands don't cut it.

Can't wait to see it on the truck :cool2:

winch2.jpg

Edited by AK9849cy

It is really easy to throw a chunk a receiver tubing under the upper square box... just think of all the things you can mount to it... racks to winches P...

If you put bedliner on it make sure it is herculiner.. the rest of the brands don't cut it.

Can't wait to see it on the truck :cool2:

winch2.jpg

That's a beaut!!!^^^^

Is your friend on the board?

Radek is on the AC board, and NTC as eaglepath...

His truck is what mine aspired to be when it was the stockasaurus... But I'll never be the crazy wheeler he is! :D

AK9849cy - I was also trying to decide whether or not I should mount a hitch receiver in it. Can you buy just the square part at a store? I still like the look of the turn signs, and I guess I can add them later since I'm planning on Herculining it today. I have everything sitting in the warehouse, and look forward to playing with Xylene. :lol: I'm not sure I'll ever mount a winch on it, I'm just not sure the bumper is strong enough. I'm worried I'd break a weld on a mount, rip the whole bumper off, or just have the hitch part get ripped out. I'm just not sure how strong the welds actually are since I'm pretty new to welding and they're not the greatest. Think there is any chance of this happening? ;)

Edited by tmorgan4

AK9849cy - More questions about your recovery points. #1, what are the hoop/shackle deal you used. and #2, what is the piece that you used to weld it on with? Not sure if it's anything specific or just something you made. I do like the idea of the hitch and turn signals too. Can you buy the hitch receiver at places like U-Haul? Thanks for all the help!

Somehow I spaced recovery points by mistake as well, looks like I have some work to do. I think I'll pay somebody to weld a mount on, I would hate to have those come flying off. :laugh:

Before you coat it, if you're unsure about your welds, it might not be a bad idea to bring it down to a local college and have one of the machine shop guys take a look at it.

I should have thought about adding these things before I Herculined it but I already started so I guess I can fix it later. Luckily the stuff bonds to itself really well so I can always touch up an area if I cut it. Hopefully I'll have pictures tomorrow with it installed. :beer:

Any trailer supply place has those shackles, they are like 8 bucks ea. The Metal yard will have receiver tubing, it has the seam removed from the inside.

What I could recommend is weld this stuff on now, you need to put a couple more coats of herc on anyway. As far as your welding.... who cares.. yank the crap out of it when you are offroading. If it breaks it is not like you don't have a welder to fix it... learning is half the fun of wheeling P...

Before other stuff:

DSC01803%20(Medium).JPG

After:

DSC01821%20(Medium).JPG

Edited by AK9849cy