SAS Pathy in Colorado...

Earth1

If your buddy is running leafs the axle tends to run straight up and down, not in a radius like the ford combo. Most folks that run leafs either run a CV on the front side of the shaft or get the axle cut and the pinion turned up towards the t-case. Some seem to have more problems than others. I think mookie and the hardbody you see at calmini turned theirs around 12-13 degrees.

---------------

LOL, do you really thing that trackbar runs behind the axle.... does kinda look like it at that angle.

---------------

Thanks for all the compliments guys, :aok:

Edited by AK9849cy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did you change the rear suspension and/or axle or is it still stock nissan?  What about the transfer case is that stock (yours is so clean compared to mine I can't tell).

My Pathy was origianally an auto tranny. After the second transmission took a crap it was time to go with a 5 speed. While this was all apart... hmm.. calmini got some of my money. So yes my tcase has a mod sly .

Now with the 4.90's and the tcase I turn 5500 rpm in 5th gear at the high speed of 25 mph.

The rear has 9inch rustysoffroad.com coils with 15inch travel rancho 9000's. I am at the point where the factory bushings on the rear are at the end of their ability.

The bumper... here are the build pics

Edited by AK9849cy

Here's the question that my friend (let's call him Raff cause that's his real name) has asked me when I showed him the pics of your build... I will repeat it for argument's sake.

all that awesome work and he hasn't gone high pinion?

I currently have a FSJ axle ready for processing (from a working truck, brakes+ ecerything included), and I just got a call that I can have a HP Ford D44 housing for $50. Raff just retubbed his HP D44 (flipped the pig over) in three hours using 3" DOM (.5" wall thickness). How come nobody is doing it in Nissan world? Is there something with the carrier and spline count that won't make it work with the FSJ or EB halfshafts?

I really like the bumper, and the construction technique is straightforward enough to tackle one myself...

What materials did you use?

It appears the main box is 5" square, with 1/8" walls?

And then the rest is 1/8" plate?

Anything you would do differently if you did it again? Thicker plate in some areas, lighter in others?

It appears to me that most homebuilt are overbuilt. Lugging an extra 150 pounds of unnecessary steel up front just doesn't make any sense to me!

It appears to me that most homebuilt are overbuilt.  Lugging an extra 150 pounds of unnecessary steel up front just doesn't make any sense to me!

That's because most people who do their own custom work wheel their trucks and like to smash into things on trails. sly I have a class III hitch under my stock front bumper that's currently molded to the shape of the said hitch. Why do you think that is? :takebow:

That's because most people who do their own custom work wheel their trucks and like to smash into things on trails. sly I have a class III hitch under my stock front bumper that's currently molded to the shape of the said hitch. Why do you think that is? :takebow:

haha, how true is that :takebow: my bumpers can atest to that, and fenders, lol

f'in shiite, thats nice, I like the front bumper too :beer:

Me too... :clap:

I'm thinking about having someone build one for me, just don't know where to start... I'll have to draw what I want... :wacko:

I like that! Is it build or bought?

I go to the shops in town and they say.. all that work why didnt you go with a Dana 60 :aok:

Low pinion is easier.. this EB axle is ready to go with the chevy outers. It is the same width of rear axle (Same with the Waggie axles). Most high pinion D44's are full width. Now if I was going to go through the pain of narrowing a high pinion axle it would be a dana 60... why mess with a 44... 35spline outers etc. The kewl part of the dana 60 (modified to fit an early Bronco) is that it bolts right on to my truck with this setup. So my truck is built for that option if needed.

The bumper is built out of 3/16 box steel and plate. It was cheap at the local scrap yard. Before the Herculiner I had around 60 bucks into it. The bumper is probably one of the better things I have made. The only downfall to it is you can't use it with a body lift, or you must build it for a body lift. Other than that it works, I wanted it to cover the front crossmember of the frame and match the cutout front wheelwells...

Edited by AK9849cy

Me too... :clap:

I'm thinking about having someone build one for me, just don't know where to start... I'll have to draw what I want... :wacko:

I like that! Is it build or bought?

that thing is BUILT

offroaders motto, at least mine and alot of other ppl i know, BUILT NOT BOUGHT

The tires are 33x12.50 super swamper radials. I like them being interco tires tend to run a little narrow there isnt any clearance problem with the rear wheelwells. They still rub the top of the rear tubs when fully stuffed...

I go to the shops in town and they say.. all that work why didnt you go with a Dana 60 :aok:

Cause even with 35"s a well built 44 won't break a sweat on the front end? Why sacrifice the weight and clearance with a 60?

So the question stands... it's gonna run me at the most additional $80 or so in materials and pig to run HP, is there anything that would stop me in my tracks from doing so?

BTW, I hope you're not taking it in any way personal, the way I look at it, is I am gonna do it once. Period. And I am gonna do it right. And at the same time I am one cheap bastard. B)

If your buddy is running leafs the axle tends to run straight up and down, not in a radius like the ford combo. Most folks that run leafs either run a CV on the front side of the shaft or get the axle cut and the pinion turned up towards the t-case. Some seem to have more problems than others. I think mookie and the hardbody you see at calmini turned theirs around 12-13 degrees.

---------------

LOL, do you really thing that trackbar runs behind the axle.... does kinda look like it at that angle.

---------------

Thanks for all the compliments guys, :aok:

Yup. I cut and rotated the knuckles 12 degrees and I also have a high angle CV front D-shaft. My pinion sits 1 degree below the output of the t-case. That turned out to work perfectly for the upwards motion.

A Dana 44 is half ass when locked with no tire slippage at moab.... There are folks that take a Dana 44, install Dana 60 knuckles and buy a 35 spline locker. I guess if you want that half inch clerance... it would work.

I dont plan on having any problem with the stock VG30 pushing things along, but when the power gets installed I plan on problems with the front. Nature of the beast... Here is what my buddy ended up doing over time! He still comes home broken....

A high pinion should work great.. With mine there would be exhaust clearance issues. This could be fixed by running duels all the way back or moving the y-pipe/crossover pipe back by the cat...

Edited by AK9849cy

That's the issue. We have no traction at all where I run trails. We go in and dig for next three days. :( damn...

Chu gotta make it up some time, I think you'll be in for a treat. :beer:

I lived in Michigan for a couple years, and I made it over to your neck of the woods. I like it there!!! However about 300miles Northeast......... :wacko: