Dome Light

navygz19

The dome light on my '02 SE doesn't turn on anymore. Actually that's not true. It DOES turn on, when I'M DRIVING! It will fade in'out when it wants so I just leave it off all the time. So I took it to the shop and they diagnosed it as a bad button thingy on the inside of the doorjam. This was yesterday. They ordered a new sensor thing from Nissan and it's going to take 3 days to get it so I took the truck baack last night. The light is in the off position, but now my light/horn work when I lock the doors (keyless entry)!!!!!!!! They would flash/beep when they wanted to before and now that this button thing was fiddled with they work all the time. Any suggestions? Please discuss...

If the light and horn are acting up, it's probably the keyless entry system rather than just the door buttons. Check the door buttons individually to make sure they're ok by just holding them down manually one at a time and seeing if you can get the dome light to jiggle on. Another thing you could do is unscrew the buttons from the body and disconnect the wires so you can test the buttons individually.

The reason the light is coming on is since the button is bad and senses that the door is coming "open" when you hit a bump or take a turn. The reason your horn no longer honks when you lock it with the keyless entry is the car thinks that a door is open, the one with the bad button. All the door still lock, and I'd imagine that the door with the bad sensor is still getting locked as well. Mine refuses to honk when you lock the car and a door isn't shut all the way, but the lights still flash. As soon as the sensor gets fixed all should be well.

isnt it still covered under warranty?

Actually yeah it is...not by Nissan (I have 49K now) but through Carmax who I bought the Pathy from...I took the comprehensive out to 98K or 2011. They're replacing everything for free. And the horn/lights do work now, because I'm driving around without a door sensor. They took the broken one out and will be putting the new one in on monday.

tmorgan4 is right on about why the keyless entry is now working consistently.

my rear lift gate needs a gentle slam for it to close properly. if you dont close it hard enough, then lock the doors - no beap. if you slam it again - beap!

try it yourself and you will see.