that darn overhead light.

iLLlegal

alright my dome light in my 92 has burnt out TWICE in like a week and sum. anyone know what the problem could be? its not like it blows right when i put it in. i dunno if this pursits im just gunna make my own lights and not bother with it. it barely lights anything as it is. B)

Burned out? That is odd...

Only two causes for a true burn out:

- Excessive voltage

- Manufacturing defect

How old was the first one that burned out? If it was old, it may have just died of natural causes. And the second one may have just suffered from "cheap chinese manufacturing syndrome". Rule of thumb: Electrical stuff either burns out right away, or not for a long time.

I'd just try one more.... If it burns out, then start monitoring voltage.

This is assuming you are replacing it with the correct OEM sized bulb, of course.

yup its up to code. and i dunno if its a cheap bulb but like 2 of em cost me 7 freakin bucks. I had to replace the first burn out one ( in the car since i got it) then I put in a new one..that lasted for like a good 2months I beleive. then it burnt out...then I put another one and it was out in a WEEK. and i had to take that one from the rear dome :P id start monitoring voltage....if i had anything to read it with.

ill go pick up another light tomorrow and see how this one goes.

I've lost several of those damned things. Found that for some reason, the metal end becomes dislodged from the glass and they smoke. I rebent the clips so there wasn't as much pressure and I haven't burned out one yet. Maybe this will help.

Rule of thumb: Electrical stuff either burns out right away, or not for a long time.

Gotta agree with that. I've had mine since '89 and believe it or not, other than updating the headlight bulbs I've replaced a grand total of one brake-light bulb in that entire time... :idea: :aok:

Gotta agree with that. I've had mine since '89 and believe it or not, other than updating the headlight bulbs I've replaced a grand total of one brake-light bulb in that entire time... :idea: :aok:

i TOTALLY agree.

FYI, sylvania makes 2 bulbs that look IDENTICAL to my front dome light bulb. after burning out my replacement bulbs within a week, i went back to kragen auto shop and found out that the first pair that i bought were rated at a lower wattage than the OEM bulbs. i bought the other kind that looked exactly like my dome light...and haven't had a problem since. maybe this is the issue that you're having? the one significant detail that can be noticed is that the lower wattage rated bulb should burn brighter than the higher wattage bulb when the same voltage and current goes through the bulbs. so if you notice that your new bulb is brighter, you might've made the same mistake i made