HELP me!

Matthew

I have a yakima roof rack, and have been noticing an annoying squeaking sound coming from the roof. Not only is the noise audible on the trail, but also on the road. I was just wondering if this is the yakima rack, or the car's crossbars. If anyone knows how to fix this, your input is deeply appreciated!

if there is no load on the rack then it shouldn't be making much noise.

I would try to tighten the main bolts (in the towers) and whatever accessories you have - like headpeace says.......

then I would do a little lube test run....spay some lube (tri-flow if you have it, if not WD-40) on any area where two parts come together, even ones that don't move.

If this does work, then you can be anal and take the rack apart, clean it, lube it, put it back together.....

If not its obviously something else.....FYI my 95 with only 85,000 miles has noises comin from all over...

Oh by the way alabama...GOOOOOOO DAWGS

:beer:

hey fithly, isn't that what i just said...

besides, the measurement don't have enough varation to cause it to make noise when it's not under load.

It just needs lube most likely.

Alabama, do you live in the south.....if so, I take it you use the rack for cycling (kayaking maybe). What do you ride....

-bounce-

• 3 weeks later...

Does It feel tight at the cam when adjusting it, but not sit at the proper angle or tighten down to the roof when the cover is closed?

if so

Be sure that the collar atop the tower which accepts the crossbar is not cracked. Look close, as it can look fine, when the tower is open, but it will spread when you close the cover. I had 2 of those crack on me over the past 120,000 mi, and it drove me nuts until I found it the first time. If this is the issue, any yakima dealer should warrany the part. And if you go to the Yak dealer, hit them up for a new set of rubber feet for the towers, as they can wear like a pencil eraser if your rack is not tight and you keep driving around.

Mine is silent. What would you lube on a roof rack? *snic*

That's what I was wondering myself. It's not the bolt's or anything that would need lubing that is doing the squeaking, it's the factory crossbars. Someone on the AC board said that he tied his down to the bars, which is what I'll try to do.

The rack does move the car when I move it, so it is obviously tightly attached to the crossbars. The place where it is squeaking is on the factory crossbars. Also, I have checked to make sure that the crossbars are tightly fastened in the rails that run up and down the roof (if that makes sense :crazy: ).

This is not my truck, but it has the same roof rails. I will try to figure out how to post pictures of my pathfinder tomorrow.

Somebody's car (look at the roof rails)