TICK TICK TICK...SLAP SLAP SLAP...

SteeevO

I'm not seeing the picture to well.

Your reference to the noise tick- tick slap-slap, was this a constant noise or was it the one that seems to come and go and is inherent to this particular engine?

Mine will still make that tick-tick slap-slap noise and I've replaced the T-belt, the tensioner, and the water pump

silly people.. its just a nail getting stuck in the tire while he was driving... tick tick tick, till the nail flew out, then slap slap slap as the flat tire flapped around wildly!

Right??? RIGHT?????

For your sake dude, I really hope thats the case.

Edited by derogate

SteeevO, don't feel too bad. I spent the holidays helping rebuild and install a 5.0 in a 88 Mustang. Then another a couple of weekends ago replacing the head gaskets again. This pass we added new roller lifters and roller rockers this pass (which I had the privilege of shimming.

Look at this as an opertunity to upgrade (porting, cams, valves, not much else that I know of). Make us jealous. :beer:

ok i kept u waiting long enough... i am getting a horrendous loud tapping... maybe one insane valve or lifter or something.... or worse... a rod......it would stop when i would rev above 1000 RPMS but then i drove another 60 miles and and now it continues to make the sound above 2500 RPMS... so i pulled the engine from the parts pathy.. but still has 210K/mi on it.. so i am actually undecided on what i'm going to do...

most likely pull the valve covers to take a look... we'll see what happens... for now i'm not driving the daily driver... i had to borrow my moms civic.. :(

and she is borrowing a car from one of my many cousins...but since my engnie has 346,800 miles on it i'm prolly looking at a complete rebuild but i'm trying to find a shop to do it.. because i do not have the time to tear it down nor get the thing back together...

i'll keep u updated and if u know fo a shop that will do a rebuild in the ontario/san bernardino ,California area please let me know

Dude, 346K miles?!? Yes, Nissans go forever when taken care of. But this is pretty good. If its been good so far, it might not be so crazy to rebuild. That would be pretty sweet to say at 500K miles that you have the original engine with only a mild rebuild over the years. Its almost a battle of wills now. At this point, check it out/ have it checked out. Hopefully its just up top and not a rod or something in the block, although head work sucks $$$ just the same. That tap at speed has me worried, as the symptoms sound like rod issues I've had in other rides. Mine has the somewhat chattery top-end, but it calms down and goes away as things warm up and with RPM's. But whichever way you land, good luck!

Edited by Mr. Pickles

if you are in CA... go to where i just bought my "new" motor. some other peeps on these forums have used them too...... N.O.W. (Nissan Only Wreckers) in rancho Cordova.. if you need something I am heading up there Monday to pick up my new motor... under 100,000 miles.. $600... 6 month full mechanical warranty :aok: look 'em up! ;)

yeah i figured out what i'm gonna do.

i am gonna put the parts pathy's engine into my pathy thati drive and finish up the 4WD conversion.. the diff is on the floor in the garage.. i just need to put it in.. no biggie..while the engone is out i'll have the brackets welded in..

i'll keep the original motor and slowly rebuild it bored out and ported 'n stuff.. computer mod on the other computer i have then by the time i'm done i'll prolly have another car and just use the pathy for off road use..proly end up green sticker.. but thas ok..

yeah i figured out what i'm gonna do.

i am gonna put the parts pathy's engine into my pathy thati drive and finish up the 4WD conversion.. the diff is on the floor in the garage.. i just need to put it in.. no biggie..while the engone is out i'll have the brackets welded in..

i'll keep the original motor and slowly rebuild it bored out and ported 'n stuff.. computer mod on the other computer i have then by the time i'm done i'll prolly have another car and just use the pathy for off road use..proly end up green sticker.. but thas ok..

sssh do what i am going to do. there are ways to get around the CA smog nazis. i am pulling my 137,000 mile original motor today, and basically setting it to one side. When i pick up the new motor Monday, that will be a direct drop in for my truck.

then comes the fun part sly my "old" motor is going to be rebuilt from top to bottom.. bigger cams, p & p, all the goodies. I will smog my pathy with the new motor, then soon as that is done put the "souped up" motor back in her and i am good to go for another 2 years with the better/more power motor sly

you always have a stock back-up..... and the motors will look identical to any cop who wants to check.. AND the bonus is she stays street legal.... B)

UUU?

Sorry to be so blind too what is evidently the obvious to every body else but I must have missed something.

I gather from the topic "TICK TICK TICK ... SLAP SLAP SLAP" that you either spazzzzed out after a night of partying or something serious has occurred with your engine.

May I inquire as to which one?

I take it I'm the face?!!

I guess I'm and old dog and this a new trick. I'm figuren the "tick tick tick" is the engine and the "slap slap slap" is for not being proactive.

What's odd is my engine does both TICK and SLAP at the same time but not all the time