calmini steering with front sway bar

SteeevO

what sway bars do you have on your pathy?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. what sway bars do you have on your pathy?

• Both Front and Rear
    • Front Only
    • Rear Only
    • Niether, Took Both Front And Rear Off

no no no i know it does i'm just saying that if a sway bar limits flexing then y can a solid axle flex so well??

maybe i'm not making sense

Sorry, I should not have been so short with you. I assumed that people would know what a sway bar (aka stabilizer bar) was, and its function.

A live axle is connected to your car via moving parts. Shockers, springs, panhard rod and radius arms. All of these things alow movement.

What Simon said is correct. A sway bar is a fairly rigid thing. It connects to your axle and to the chassis to minimises movement, to stop flex. It will flex a little bit but not too much. If I was to put a sway bay on the front, or even the rear of my car, then I would lose valuable travel in my suspension.

ok it all makes sense now but for now i'm gonna put the front nismo one on.. i don't have the rear one on though... i havn't had it for a while now... if i plan on going for a big weekend i'll take off the front one for the weekend.. not like it's hard to do...

thnks for the explanations

ok it all makes sense now but for now i'm gonna put the front nismo one on.. i don't have the rear one on though... i havn't had it for a while now... if i plan on going for a big weekend i'll take off the front one for the weekend.. not like it's hard to do...

thnks for the explanations

It's not hard to do but it is a pain in the arse all the same.

What about fab'ing some quick disconnects? I have not actually looked to see how feasible it might actually be on our trucks, but the after market makes such items for other makes and models.

:idea: One simple way I saw someone do on their Xterra was to swap the nut at one end out with a nut that had a plastic knob molded on it. Just twist the knob by hand and the link is undone.

Offroaders with solid axles do not use swaybars(stabilizer bar), because they limit flex. Flex is what keeps your tires in contact with the ground and keeps you moving with the most traction available to you at that moment. Flex is a very good thing for offroading.

Stock vehicles with IFS OR solid axles have swaybars to keep the suspension from flexing too much. Because who wants to have your coffee spilled on you when turning onto an onramp for the freeway because your vehicle's body rolled like a tipsy cow? The flatter your vehicle stays around corners and turns, the better for street driving. That's why most vehicles come with them and keep them installed.

Swaybar disconnects are a good thing! You can keep your street-driving capability and stability and yet unplug one pin and have all the flex for offroading you can get out of it. Making your own is cheaper than buying new, but not many people have the skill and equipment to do so.

Get it now?

it all makes sense ...i think a quick disconnect for the friont swaybar would be sweet!

does anyone have any design ideas....

i diddn't really understand the one with the plasic knob...

• 6 years later...

I found that the back sway bar had more control over body roll then the front. I hardly notice the front one missing even with my worn out bushings on the rear one. I drove all the way to NC at highway speeds without any issues. Also, it is easier (in my opinion) to quick disconnect the rear than the front. Anyway..that's my two cents. Not that you need them, but could save you some money on a special front sway bar.