Exhaust/emissions

Simon

Alright folks....here's the situation....I've developed a small exhaust leak at the muffler. It's a POS Speedy Muffler "lifetime" guarantee one. Garbage. Anyhow, i bought a tailpipe, as mine is shot as well. The fact of the matter is I'm going to have to replace EVERYTHING exhaust related at some point, although money is tight right now.

With that said, I can get a glass pack muffler really cheap, and it at least seems better constructed than the typical stock replacement mufflers available.

My question is, how much does a muffler reduce emissions, if at all? I will have to pass an emissions test in August, and I don't want to fail because of the muffler.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, let me know.

Thanks

the only thing a muffler is gonna effect is your noise. its not gonna reduce actual emissions. im not sure what the reg's are in your state/area..but some wont pass a car with a more performance oriented/louder muffler. the DB level and visual would be the only things that could kill you.

the only thing a muffler is gonna effect is your noise. its not gonna reduce actual emissions. im not sure what the reg's are in your state/area..but some wont pass a car with a more performance oriented/louder muffler. the DB level and visual would be the only things that could kill you.

Hmm....naw....I'm in Ontario, and they aren't gonna get on me about the noise, given all the riced out Civic's around here.......that won't be an issue, I'm sure.....if it does nothing for emissions on a technical level, I'll go for it.

Thanks for the info..

all a muffler is is...well just that...it muffles sound. it has absolutley no control over emissions. the only real exhaust related part that has a direct effect would be your cat. your muffler is filled with baffles, mesh wire, etc...

all exhaust is somewhat "processed" i guess you could say after it leaves the cat. it dosent really do a whole lot more breaking down after that. thats why several mfg's put a 2nd o2 sensor (forget if ours have it) after the kitty to monitor effeciency and turns in a MIL if emissions are being affected due to a faulty unit

We have no O2 after the cat......but what you're saying makes sense, and the more I research it, the more it proves what you're saying makes sense. Most mufflers have chambers that baffle sound, but don't actually "filter" anything it seems, so emissions control is done at the cat, and before.......which is all I need to know. Now hopefully it won't be unbearably loud with the glasspack, although, I remember Mr. Jim ran one way back when, and didn't seem to mind it.

Hey, Since I'm away from my Rig for the next 2 weeks, and my chiltons with it, I'll have to ask here out of curiosity.

Simon, you just said, We have no O2 after the cat.

Is it before the Cat? or are things different on your year and they dont have one there at all.

Alright folks....good info, thanks.....

I bought a "Cherry Bomb" glasspack for about $30CDN. I clamped that on, and sealed the joints using muffler cement. Really easy install, and the difference is amazing. Nice low rumble at idle, and a deep throaty exhaust note when pushed....not ricey at all, and it's not too loud. All in all, I'm quite happy with it so far. Hopefully it lasts longer than the old POS muffler I had on there. :beer:

Sorry I didn't see your thread earlier.

Next time call National Exhaust (in Brampton)...

Why? Are their prices that much better than $30 for a glasspack? Or do they have other low price options?

I got a full replacement exhaust system for my truck (cat back) for $150 last year. I believe my mechanic ordered it from them.

Just to give you an example how cheap they are, I just got 4 tie-rods and 4 ball joints (upper/lowers) for $230+tax from them 'bout two weeks ago. -bounce- That's was something like $25 per tie-rod and $35 per ball joint.

That place is insane and they had everything in stock. Just CALL them next time you need any parts. sly

Thanks for the tip Filthy :aok:.....I used them for a muffler, and a caliper on my old car, and had completely forgot about them......I'll be sure to check them out next time I need parts.