Truck Refuses to Start

Harbinger

I'm guessing I'd still pass emissions with this removed, provided the engine was at operating temp right?

What could cause the PTC heater link to blow like mine did?

The heater element died and shorted out. You can unplug it and just tape up the wiring for the time being. You sure don't want to try replacing the fuse to try and fix it, unless you want an intake fire...heh.

Emissions should be fine with it out.

How hard is it to remove the TBI unit to do this? I've never torn this thing down past the air cleaner housing, so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. EG, any special tools needed?

The heater element died and shorted out. You can unplug it and just tape up the wiring for the time being.

Dually noted!

unless you want an intake fire...heh.

I appreciate the warning and all, but I sensed a smile when you said fire. :beer:

post-5-1138570320.jpg

Edited by Harbinger

How hard is it to remove the TBI unit to do this? I've never torn this thing down past the air cleaner housing, so I figure it doesn't hurt to ask. EG, any special tools needed?

You just have to disconnect a couple wire harnesses, remove a few hoses (vacuum, Fuel and coolant), the throttle cable (cable"s" if you have cruise control) and then it's just a matter of removing four nuts and lock washers.

It's not really hard at all.

Break the seal of the old gaskets, clean it up- and reinstall with the new gaskets and heater (unless you reuse the old "modified" one)

If you get a new one, the gaskets will come with it. If you reuse the old one then you can get new gaskets from a parts store. No one seems to list them but if they are willing to make calls then they can be dug up... or if you have the part number, they can pull them right up on the computer ;)

Niehoff Flange Gasket #27729

Comes with both gaskets (intake manifold to heater and heater to throttle body) and costs only a few bucks. :aok: