Worn out lower ball joints?

Mr. Pickles

I installed new upper ball with the UCA swap last summer. I have zerk fittings in the UCA's and ball joints and have greased them a few times. I've also replaced the sway bar bushings and link with the Energy Suspension poly kit (greased), and I don't appear to have slop in the steering components other than maybe a worn center link I think. I've gone over everything I can think of, lifting the font up on stands, taking off the wheels, and checking most everything I can think of. I've also checked bolts and mounting points for the UCA and spindle, etc. I also backed my torsion bars off a bit recently to try and relieve some stress, and lowered the front end about a half inch or so. Oh, and the shocks are new- Rancho 5000's. Checked and tightened the mounts for those as well.

The reason for all of this is an intermittent squeak I've had from the front driver's suspension. Pretty loud, like a metal on metal, but with no sloppy motions or anything visiblly wrong that I've found. It happens occasionally while driving on bumpy roads, but is mainly amplified by being under moderate to heavy throttle or going up hill, or slightly off-camber spots like cresting a hill at an angle. Basically places where the suspension is at or close to full downward droop.

So one of the last things I've thought of is maybe the lower ball joint. Has anybody killed theirs before, or has anybody had something like this? If its the BJ, no biggie cause I have a brand new set sitting in the garage. Just wondering. I've also got a strut/compression rod poly bushing set I've been meaning to install, so this might be motivation. If anything, I'll finally have a fully new front suspension by the time I'm done.

Yeah Luker, I originally greased the swaybar bushings, but that was like a year ago since install. I kept it cause its also my daily driver and I put some miles on her in all conditions. Might as well pull it and check since that's free, so it couldn't hurt. MZ... um... that's pretty much what I'm hoping to avoid, thank you. :rolleyes: Guess its time to take a long weekend and do all the rest of the odds and ends I've been putting off. Of course, I was already planning on using my next long weekend for the Lock Right install. Sonova.... whattya do...

Luker.....I had both my lower ball joints shot, one with "excessive" play, but had no noise......

Mr. P, the best way, (that I've found) to check for play in the LBJ, is to jack the truck up, tire off, remove the upper BJ from the spindle, and then see if you've got play in the LBJ by moving the spindle around. You shouldn't get any up/down movement separate from moving the LCA.

Definitely check the sway bar links first though.....mine were shot and created all kinds of noises.

Just grab the sway bar and push/pull on it up and down to check for play.