Rev limiter at 2800 RPM?

Guest hotrod97z

Guest hotrod97z

I bought a '87 Pathfinder a few weeks ago. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributer cap/rotor, air filter & fuel filter after I bought it. The truck has a "miss" at 2800 RPM that acts exactly like a rev limiter. This "miss" happens every time the truck reaches 2800 RPM, whether under load or no load.

If this is a fuel issue, it should stall at a different RPM with no-load than under load. If it is an electrical problem, it should miss at lower RPMs also. This leaves me to believe this may be an engine control issue. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Alan

I bought a '87 Pathfinder a few weeks ago. I replaced the plugs, wires, distributer cap/rotor, air filter & fuel filter after I bought it. The truck has a "miss" at 2800 RPM that acts exactly like a rev limiter. This "miss" happens every time the truck reaches 2800 RPM, whether under load or no load.

If this is a fuel issue, it should stall at a different RPM with no-load than under load. If it is an electrical problem, it should miss at lower RPMs also. This leaves me to believe this may be an engine control issue. Has anyone had a problem like this before?

Alan

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7355

• 1 month later...
Guest hotrod97z

Update:

I drove to my parent's house last month (about 100 miles away) to work on the Pathfinder again. I checked the MAF per the service manual's recommendation and it tested OK. I checked the code in the ECM and found an injection code. I checked the resistance on the injectors and one was about 10 times what it was supposed to be. The wierd thing is that both injectors tested OK with 1.5 ohms of resistance each when I checked them through the wiring harness; however, when I removed the top of the throttlebody and rechecked, one had a resistance of 10.5 ohms. Wierd, but stranger things have happened.

Edited by hotrod97z

Mine did the same thing this past spring, it puts itself into safe mode if the ECU dosesn't detect or the injector misses more than four times in a row. Check the wires from the ECU to the injector plug, you should have 0 resistance. All I did with mine was run a jumper wire from ECU to just before the injector connector and problem was solved. When I get out of work today I can give what pin number from the ECU to which color wire of the injector to test.

Ok, to find out which wire is bad test from ECU pin 101 & 102 to injector "A" black wire. Next from ECU pin 103 & 104 to injector "B" black wire with a blue stripe. Which ever one has resistance is no good and you need to bypass. Good luck, Tim

Speedy says

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shiznit...what a ride!"

That is the coolest thing i have heard in a while!