saftey of coil spring spacers?

DSM_guy

ok well in addition to my BL (which will be here monday by the way) i also plan to go with a 3" suspension lift via JGC coils. since i have the 4 door, a carrier with a full size 31" tire, a sub box..and am currently building a sturdier rear bumper, its a pretty given fact im not gonna get a full 3" of lift. before i start searching for JGC lift springs to compensate for this, i have heard much talk about ppl using spacers ranging from .5-1" in thickness. i have looked at the suspension...and it seems that not a whole helluva lot keeps our springs in place. my question is this...

how safe are these spacers??? i mean...whats to keep our springs from just sliding off? i sure dont wanna have to limp my pathy home lookin like some ghetto cruiser. i see we have a lil hump there in the middle of the spring perch (at least on the botton) but there comes a point if you used even a halfway thick spacers youd end up making it obsolete. am i just reading too much into this? sorry but im just not the type to do a half-ass mod and comprimise my saftey or reliability. i see some like "88" and a few others have utilized them with seemingly great success, but i just need a bit more clarification.

thanks guys!

I haven't done the spacers but thought about it, there shouldn't be the concern with the coil(s) falling out cuz your panhard bar kinda holds the axle in place enough to keep the coils in. If anything the spacer should tighten the springs up so there's more pressure holding them in.

hmm, well i found some 2" spacers here...made for the JGC so they should fit like a charm on the oem springs. and even if i need to modify it a lil to fit our spring mounts shouldent be that bad.

what do yall think? it does have a lil keeper there on the top

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/pro...p/products_id/1

Those spacers go on top of a Jeep spring, where the coil measures 3" ID in stock form...I wouldn't try using those on a 4" ID coil. They'd look funny rattling around inside the spring.

By the way, unless your rear end becomes both airborne AND loses both shock absorbers at the same time, there's no way on God's green earth those coils are coming out of the seats on their own free will.

For the record, I have 3/4" spacers top and bottom on mine and they work fine.

DSM, I'd also suggest buying new, aftermarket JGC coils. They aren't that expensive (I got mine for about $100 CDN) and I was offered the heavy duty ones. Mine's also a 4 door, with a carrier, and a sub box, and mine still noses down due to the amount of lift they gave me. Just another thought.

I put some 1/4" Doughnuts made from Trucker Mud Flaps for the top and bottoms in back in November and even Drove more then 900 Kms without the Panhard Rod on. Obviously things were sloppy as hell at highway speeds but I haven't had any trouble with them shifting and moving. Also, when I got stuck on that damn Rail road tie a few weeks after, during the whole process of getting out I had my Passenger Side, Ass End, a foot off the ground without and trouble.

88pathoffroad.

3/4" each spacer? Damn, What did you use? That Rubber Flooring stuff you find in electrical shops?

DSM guy, When putting the tops in I found it handy to get a little masking tape and tape the Spacer, Isolator Seat, and Coil together when installing. Just put a thin stip on, enough to keep it them from falling down then rip the tape off as best you can later. And Last of all, You could always get the aftermarket JGC that offer a Lift for the Grand Cherokee. Not sure but I'm assuming theres more Coils in that option though. I don't have any Idea if that makes any difference anyway, perhaps someone who knows for sure could chime in on that.

hope this is insightful

Dowser

Simon,

when you say "new aftermarket coils" do you mean OEM spec springs new from an auto parts joint, or do you mean aftermarket as in LIFT coils?

thanks much for clearing up that fear of the whole "losing the spring" deal. i just have heard of some ppl losing one and having to limp it home lookin all ghetto. and thanks A BUNCH on flagging those spacers for me. the ad said (IIRC) that it could either be used top or bottom, but im glad i didnt blow $40 on that and look like a tool. ill probably just make me some spacers out of something when the time comes round.

thanks ALOT to everyone!! :beer::beer::beer:

Mine are stock height. They're meant as a stock (OEM Spec) height replacement. But because of the fact they're heavy duty, they don't compress nearly as much. They were quite a bit heavier than the regular duty JGC coils as well.

Edited by Simon

I put some 1/4" Doughnuts made from Trucker Mud Flaps for the top and bottoms in back in November and even Drove more then 900 Kms without the Panhard Rod on. Obviously things were sloppy as hell at highway speeds but I haven't had any trouble with them shifting and moving.

:o

:blink:

:confused:

sorry to post jack, but what possed you drive without the panhard rod in???

hmm, well i did a search at partsamerica.com and also at autozone. none of the products listed were labled as "heavy duty".

i found one brand of springs at AZ, and 2 diff brands at PA.

made by duralast

autozone coils

TRW (PA)

trw

mcquay-norris (PA)

mcquay norris

if i cant find any heavy duty ones here....i wonder if you could send a little "birthday present" across teh border to me!

Hmm....duralast sounds familiar......I think that's what they were.......

I got mine at, of all places, a Wal-Mart auto parts counter.......They ordered them in.

:o

:blink:

:confused:

sorry to post jack, but what possed you drive without the panhard rod in???

He was having trouble getting it attached. He couldn't get the axle to shift over enough to reattach it on the axle side. He brought it over to my place and got it reattached.

Edited by Simon

wal-mart eh? hmmm, i wonder if i could get them to do that here. did you just walk in and tell them what you wanted and get them with no probs? did you have to pull any springs or deal with any isht? sorry just never heard of anyone doing that at wally world lol.

Well,in Canada, in some stores, they have an auto parts counter near the service desk, that isn't ACTUALLY Wal-Mart. It's a company that has paid to be in select Wal-Mart stores, and they sell auto parts....Their prices though, on alot of things, is pretty good....

I'll see if I can find the receipt for them, which will hopefully have a part number......

Dowser and GrimGreg: Made 'em myself out of 3/4" thick rubber flooring mat. I got it from a buddy who had it in the floor of his bucket on a bucket truck. Use a coffee can for the initial disc shape and fine-tune the center hole right before install so you can test-fit 'em on the upper spring seat. Have extra razor blades ready for your utility knife, the sharper the blade the easier it cuts and they wear out fairly quickly FWIW.