different kinda bumper/lift question

DSM_guy

ok so sometime in the future (hopefully near future) im gonna be going for a 3" BL. right now im in the process of making my own winch bumper with the body at stock height. and of course something with that much stress wont be merley using risers to readjust the height.

any suggestions? should i just wait till i lift it and then continue my fabrication? what do you guys with body lifts and aftermarket bumpers do??

somebody in the offroad club im in did that with his toyota. built a winch bumper and put a winch on it, put a 3inch body lift on it, and the first time he went to pull somebody out of the mud the damn thing broke off under all the stress because he used "risers" when he went up 3 inchs. just wait till the lift is on and then fab. it

ok thanks guys, i guess it was a bit of a stupid question now that i think of it, i mean there IS only one way to do it right. i guess ill just have to bite the bullet now and get the lift so i can press on with my project.

oh, and another lil question realated to winch bumpers and strength. how many bolts and what grade is reccomended? do i need more than a grade 8? 10? would 4 of these suffice?

I agree in that you should wait till the lift is done... not only for the strength factor but also why cause yourself rework? ;)

As for the grade, for something that will be submitted to so much stress I would go with 8+.. even if it's overkill in some peoples eyes, its piece of mind while you pull that stuck Chevy out :D

:::Hears Slick creeping up behind... ducks for cover :hide: :::

ok....ANOTHER question

iv been lookin and reading around, and it seems that people also anchor their winch bumpers down below to the cross member. or at least it seems that way.

to be honest, im wondering if i need to do this. i have built bumpers before, and we just mounted it right where the factory mounts were....slid back into the frame.

im puttin in a 2" receiver hitch in the front, and gonna use one of those nifty winch mounts so i can switch back and forth between the front and back. then gonna run a peice of square tubing out between the 2 "arms" commin from the frame and mount the receiver in that peice. then weld the "shell" of the outer bumper if you will, to that peice of tubing and brace it all up. its pretty much like the ARB design outside.

sorry for so many questions..i just guess im a stickler for saftey, and paranoid about getting everyting braced up right. no need in tearing off my front end when i go to use anything!

ok, here is a quick lil drawing of what im sorta talkin about

bumper_draw.jpg

Edited by DSM_guy

I installed my hitch right to the bumper supports but I reinforced them with some pretty large chunks of C-Channels. I took the rad and fenders off to make the work easier. The bolts that hold the bumper supports and reinforcements are 1/2" thick and go straight down through the frame. I did some insanely long pulls and the whole thing doesn't even move a millimeter. It's super strong.

Here's a link to my buildup: http://nissan4wheelers.com/groupee/forums/...3/m/19310847811

There are no pics of the bumper bracket supports as I added them later on. :hide:

wow thanks alot filthy! that is quite an ingeneous setup you got there! i am trying to get a better idea on how/where you strengthened everyting up at but im sure ill find it. if not i added you to AOL and of course i know where to find you here. any pix of the beefed up reinforcements would be great tho!

also...

i got underneath and looked for place to mount an extra lower set of supports to mount to...kinda sketchy. i see 2 possible mounting places. one would be flat against the underside of the frame using the 2 threaded bolt holes for the factory tow hooks on each side. the other possible place would be in a vertical orientation right up against those tabs that have the oblong hole in them. they hang down right there under where the very front most body mounts are.

unless there are any other places that im missin here...im thinkin maybe the factory bolt hole locations might be the best...unless otherwise noted. sorry for all the questions, just want this done right!

Edited by DSM_guy

wow thanks alot filthy! that is quite an ingeneous setup you got there! i am trying to get a better idea on how/where you strengthened everyting up at but im sure ill find it. if not i added you to AOL and of course i know where to find you here. any pix of the beefed up reinforcements would be great tho!

also...

i got underneath and looked for place to mount an extra lower set of supports to mount to...kinda sketchy. i see 2 possible mounting places. one would be flat against the underside of the frame using the 2 threaded bolt holes for the factory tow hooks on each side. the other possible place would be in a vertical orientation right up against those tabs that have the oblong hole in them. they hang down right there under where the very front most body mounts are.

unless there are any other places that im missin here...im thinkin maybe the factory bolt hole locations might be the best...unless otherwise noted. sorry for all the questions, just want this done right!

This is the same thing I've been thinking about. Anybody that's tried something using those tow hook mounts, please post up. I made a simple bracket using those as the mounting points to mount my brush guard thing since its from a Land Rover. But hopefully that is only temporary. I was looking at that as well as a solid point to mount a solid bumper and winch since its directly to the frame and exposed when you do a body lift. It might even make sense to go farther back and make a 3rd mount on each side farther back on the frame. Ok, 'nuff rambling. Anybody?

I installed my hitch right to the bumper supports but I reinforced them with some pretty large chunks of C-Channels. I took the rad and fenders off to make the work easier. The bolts that hold the bumper supports and reinforcements are 1/2" thick and go straight down through the frame. I did some insanely long pulls and the whole thing doesn't even move a millimeter. It's super strong.

Here's a link to my buildup: http://nissan4wheelers.com/groupee/forums/...3/m/19310847811

There are no pics of the bumper bracket supports as I added them later on. :hide:

Now thats what I call a mod. I pitty the poor bugger that ypu run up the arse. :D Or anything you hit for that matter.

:P

Now thats what I call a mod. I pitty the poor bugger that ypu run up the arse.  :D  Or anything you hit for that matter.

Yeah, that's on hell of a factory bumper!

Bet the guy I saw in Spanaway today wishes he had done that mod... Right next to me a 4DR LE Path took off as traffic started to move at a green light. Well I am guessing he was messing with the radio or staring off into space.. because he slammed right into the back of a Ford Crown Victoria as that lanes slowed because people were turning out of it onto a side street. The Pathy hit hard and pushed the CV into the back of a Chrysler minivan.

The impact pushed the Pathy's bumper and front lower section of the fenders in and cracked the vans rear bumper. Could not see any visible damaged to the older couples CV :shrug:

This is the same thing I've been thinking about. Anybody that's tried something using those tow hook mounts, please post up. I made a simple bracket using those as the mounting points to mount my brush guard thing since its from a Land Rover. But hopefully that is only temporary. I was looking at that as well as a solid point to mount a solid bumper and winch since its directly to the frame and exposed when you do a body lift. It might even make sense to go farther back and make a 3rd mount on each side farther back on the frame. Ok, 'nuff rambling. Anybody?

well, upon some closer inspection and thought...this is what "I" have devised. instead of using just one of the 2 points i mentioned...i decided ill just use both. by using a peice of angle iron i plan to use the 2 factory bolt holes in conjunction with a big freakin bolt through that little side tab...and on top of that ill spot weld it all. i should imagine all that SHOULD hold. if not, id have no clue what else to do lol. i was planning to incorporate my push bar into my new bumper (only the top) but since i know that ill now need some lower support..i think they will serve well as a base with a lil reinforcement.

thanks for all the help guys! i gotta either find a place indoors to start in on this or wait till we get rain. oh and i also need to get my lift in before i finish up as well.

Now thats what I call a mod. I pitty the poor bugger that ypu run up the arse. :D Or anything you hit for that matter.

LFMAO... I don't have that issue as I never tailgate or anything, but I had my buddy back up into my truck with his Xterra once at pretty good speed. His rear hitch would have absolutely demolished my front end, but the damage was very minor due to what's hiding under my bumper. sly