LSD

solid snake

But I am about to do that on my truck.

As I understand it, you need an open diff to install a locker. Does this mean you are swapping out components from an open carrier in order to be able to install the locker ? What kind of locker ?

SolidS, if you are a weekend warrior (especially in sand) you may find it unnecessary... Depends on your desire, time and $ I guess. A locker is generally preferable to LSD. Have you been in many circumstances where you almost got stuck and wished both wheels were spinning ?

B

As I understand it, you need an open diff to install a locker. Does this mean you are swapping out components from an open carrier in order to be able to install the locker ? What kind of locker ?

The ARB locker replaces the entire differential carrier assembly, it has it's own differential spider gears inside.

You take the entire stock LSD carrier out, unbolt the ring gear, reattach the ring gear to the ARB and reinstall in the third member. No need to source parts off an open diff'ed Pathy or anything.

And yes... weekend warriors should spend their money on better tires and other things first like decent recovery equipment.

Edited by Filthy Luker

Ahh, I did not know that the ARB assembly was that complete. Thanks for the clue in and good luck, I'm sure you will enjoy it !! Going to take picts of the install for a write up ? Hint, hint...

B

SolidS, if you are a weekend warrior (especially in sand) you may find it unnecessary... Depends on your desire, time and $ I guess. A locker is generally preferable to LSD. Have you been in many circumstances where you almost got stuck and wished both wheels were spinning ?

B

I really haven't experienced this at all, at least not yet. I guess I'll stick with the lsd.

id much rather have a locker, theres been a few times when my lsd didnt do anything, probably worn out or something, but if u tap the brake ur lsd should kick in, theres been one time when that hasnt worked for me but i was in like solid mud

The ARB locker replaces the entire differential carrier assembly, it has it's own differential spider gears inside.

You take the entire stock LSD carrier out, unbolt the ring gear, reattach the ring gear to the ARB and reinstall in the third member. No need to source parts off an open diff'ed Pathy or anything.

And yes... weekend warriors should spend their money on better tires and other things first like decent recovery equipment.

ahh, didnt know that, now i do, is that the only company that does that, replaces everything like that, and how much does this thing cost

u=you

Lock-Rite makes (made?) one that just replaced the spider gears, but it only worked in an open carrier, not LSDs. LSD carriers are a 1 piece housing where as the opens are 2 piece (some 97 HBs have 1 piece opens fyi).

I saw the post "LSD" and  was thinking WOW someone I might be able to compare experience with.

Wrong kind of LSD.  Was hoping to see if anyone else experianced bright colors  when the flash backs kicked in.

That's not a flash back, it's the fuzz! :D

Edited by Animal