question for 'jumper'

sw

Jumper - i was just reading some posts and noticed your signature.

how long have you had the boost on 15psi?

who did the work for you?

this is interesting, being an indirect inject diesel motor ive always heard, with the exception of the td42 in patrols, that the pre combustion cambers dont like more than about 10 psi. my understanding was being at 15 psi you run the risk of getting the pre combustion chambers too hot and blowing them into the rest of the motor. was this explained to you when the work was done?

hows the motor going?

I'll ask my friend two2first{ he just joined the forum}. He has a td27 and has a boost gauge and since he works at the local nissan dealership he may have some insight. He is to come by my place this weekend.

Edited by dnodog

• 3 weeks later...

Good question sw, I have always been a bit worried about this myself. When I first put my boost guage on it was reading just over 10psi of boost in stock trim. I have pumped my up to 12ish (closer to 13) but also am intercooled...I have been running this config for about 6 months with no dramas. I do push it hard too.

I would be really keen to see pics of your intercooler setup.

A am going to do a 2 inch BL which will then give enough room under bonnet for intercooler and puller fan mounted across top of engine.

Then cut in bonnet scoop.

Like to see how another oil burner has don it.

Grego

Grego,

A couple of pics of my set up are below. I don't have a bodylift, but yeah it is a pretty tight squeeze :)

Geordie4x4 has the same sort of set up but since he has fabrications skills his is a lot neater.

I used a Mazda series 5 RX7 cooler and spun my turbo outlet and throttle inlet around to accomodate it. Geordie used a Skyline cooler and modified it to suit the engine. Basically Geordie did it better, so hopefully he will read this and show you a couple of pics! ;)

dsc00803large8yb.jpg

dsc00810large8dh.jpg

Thanks for that, yes I have spoken with Geordie and what a job he did with that!

How did the performance change with the intercooler?

Any lag?

Did you increase fuel?

Better torque?

Grego

i think i remember thinking it was a bit laggier than before...but i can't remember how it used to be now.

yep better torque all round...better hill climbs and feels more eager to go at higher speeds, which is damn sweet.

haven't turn up fuel to date...a dyno tune is on the TO-DO list.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliments grego and exodus.

I will get some photos posted when I am next on line.

Regarding the boost question:

I have turned up the boost via the waste-gate activation link between the lever and the pressure servo (or diaphragm) on top of the turbo. With a boost gauge I could only get about 12 to 14 psi before opening the factory fitted blow-off valve on top of the inlet manifold. Once this blow-off opens it dumps a lot of pressure, dropping boost to about 5 to 8 psi before closing and allowing boost to build up again. So if you want higher boost you also need to change this valve.

I figured that this blow off valve was set at about a safe maximum boost and did not want to kill my motor so I left it alone. I dialled back the waste-gate link by one turn of the thread and left it at that. With the intercooler a little more boost and 2.5" exhaust the whole package runs much better (could always do with a few hundred more horsepower but have to settle for a sensible, affordable compromise). I have done over 120,000km since the job with no motor problems (195,000km on the clock now).

I replaced the fuel injectors and had the pump re-set on the dyno and it made a world of difference (and no more black smoke). The fuel pump has a pressure operated servo to increase the fuel as the boost increases. This is a small black hose from the cross pipe, it runs down through the inlet manifold near the injector lines to the back of the fuel pump. It must be re-connected when you fit an intercooler or there will not be an increase in fuel with increased boost.

Lag in my wagon is more noticeable from the auto gearbox than from the turbo. I peddle the accelerator a bit to keep the revs up slightly just before I boot it and there is virtually no lag. Lag is also much more noticeable in my driving style with the wife in the passenger seat but I can't turn up her boost any more without possible reliability problems.

Geordie