Gas smell in oil

solid snake

I recently changed the oil in the pathy and noticed that it smelled like gas. Once I poured in the new oil, I cheked it a couple of days later and noticed that the new oil smells like gas too. I checked the plugs, but they look alright. My next though are head gaskets and was wondering if it's gonna be a PITA to do this. I checked out side the heads, but everything looks ok, it doesn't seem to ne leaking anything around it. :help:

I recently changed the oil in the pathy and noticed that it smelled like gas. Once I poured in the new oil, I cheked it a couple of days later and noticed that the new oil smells like gas too. I checked the plugs, but they look alright. My next though are head gaskets and was wondering if it's gonna be a PITA to do this. I checked out side the heads, but everything looks ok, it doesn't seem to ne leaking anything around it. :help:

If it was the head gasket, your old oil and your new oil would look kinda like chocolate milk. You would also have white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I forget what gas in the oil comes from, but I want to say valve cover gaskets but don't quote me on that.

could be leaky injectors.. i think slick has had this sort of issue... let's see what she says..

i don't think this has anything to do with head gaskets..

Cool, I'll check each injector, even though it may be a pain to get to the other 3

If it was the head gasket, your old oil and your new oil would look kinda like chocolate milk. You would also have white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I forget what gas in the oil comes from, but I want to say valve cover gaskets but don't quote me on that.

Thanks for the info, I'll check into that also.

I cheked it a couple of days later and noticed that the new oil smells like gas too

How many miles on the truck ? Old motors will have more compression blow by...

Ok, how old/smelly was the old oil ? Remember, you don't remove all the oil when you drain it; some stays, so the new oil is automatically contaminated to some degree and I think we will all agree that gas is a very pervasive and recognizable smell. How many miles in those couple of days ?

This is not necessarily something to worry about, but check it every few hundred miles to see how fast/bad it gets. If it is a motor issue then #1 rings #2 valve seats/guides.

B

Guest psyopper

Gas gets in the oil where gas enters the engine and leaks into the oil. There is no gas in the head gasket, this only retains coolant and oil.

I would start by checking your rings. The easy way to do this is to get a compression tester - basically a pressure gauge with the same size fitting as a spark plug. You remove the spark plug, screw in the compression tester, disconnect your ignition source (the main power to the distributor cap), pull the fuse for your fuel injection and/or the relay for your fuel pump and then crank the engine. No fuely + No sparky means no engine runny, just what you want. You only need to crank the engine for 3 or 4 rotations. Most gauges will have a "peak and hold" feature.

Check all six cylinders. they should all be within 10% of each other. Check the service manual (Chiltons or Haynes) to find out what the appropriate pressure should be. For instance, of the manual says 100 psi cold they should all be between 95 and 105. Older engines will naturually wear over time and use so all of your numbers may be slightly lower. In either case they should all be within that 10% range.

Chances are one of them will read significantly lower than the others. Add a teaspoon (a cap full from your oil can works fine) of oil to the cylinder and re-test. If the pressure comes up it's definitely a bad ring. If it doesn't may still be a VERY bad ring or might be a bad valve. However, a bad valve usually won't make your oil smell like gas... A bad valve guide makes a lot of blue smoke though!

By the way, a leaky injector could also be the cause, your fuel lines remain pressurized after you cut the engine. If one of the injectors is leaky fuel could leak out of it, run down the intake runner and past a possibly open valve (depending on where the engine was in it's cycle when you stopped it).

Brad

Edited by psyopper

Gas gets in the oil where gas enters the engine and leaks into the oil. There is no gas in the head gasket, this only retains coolant and oil.

I would start by checking your rings. The easy way to do this is to get a compression tester - basically a pressure gauge with the same size fitting as a spark plug. You remove the spark plug, screw in the compression tester, disconnect your ignition source (the main power to the distributor cap), pull the fuse for your fuel injection and/or the relay for your fuel pump and then crank the engine. No fuely + No sparky means no engine runny, just what you want. You only need to crank the engine for 3 or 4 rotations. Most gauges will have a "peak and hold" feature.

Check all six cylinders. they should all be within 10% of each other. Check the service manual (Chiltons or Haynes) to find out what the appropriate pressure should be. For instance, of the manual says 100 psi cold they should all be between 95 and 105. Older engines will naturually wear over time and use so all of your numbers may be slightly lower. In either case they should all be within that 10% range.

Chances are one of them will read significantly lower than the others. Add a teaspoon (a cap full from your oil can works fine) of oil to the cylinder and re-test. If the pressure comes up it's definitely a bad ring. If it doesn't may still be a VERY bad ring or might be a bad valve. However, a bad valve usually won't make your oil smell like gas... A bad valve guide makes a lot of blue smoke though!

By the way, a leaky injector could also be the cause, your fuel lines remain pressurized after you cut the engine. If one of the injectors is leaky fuel could leak out of it, run down the intake runner and past a possibly open valve (depending on where the engine was in it's cycle when you stopped it).

Brad

Wow, so that's how you do it! Nice job Brad!

Glad I looked at this tread, it can help me out with my problem.

That is just one of many outcomes of a blowb head gasket. It can blow between cylinders, which it the most common. It can blow straight out of the head from the cylinder. It can blow as you said. I don't think it is a head gasket in this case though.

Does the car blow smoke at all? Are you getting positive pressure building up in your sump? And is the car running on all cylinders?

I have a theory but can't say untill theae questions are answered.

Besides the smell of gas in your oil (as I have) does your pathy have the following:

1) is it smoking? if so, what color, how often, and when?

2) what year/mileage is your Pathy?

3) have you noticed any changes in performance/gas mileage?

4) how bad was the smell? and how did the oil look besides?

5) did ANY of the plugs come out with oil on them? (my #6 does)

6) Are you using excessive anti-freeze/water?

answer these few questions so I can help you better.. and in the meantime check this discussion out.. read EVERY post because it also discusses my issue which is similar to yours but with added issues.. to which I am suspecting the fuel injectors.

Also, if you can, run yer ecu codes. I still have to run the codes for the moving vehicle part of the ecu tests..kinda hard to do with just me, myself and i..lol :rolleyes:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7078 :aok:

Edited by Slick

How many miles on the truck ? Old motors will have more compression blow by...

Ok, how old/smelly was the old oil ? Remember, you don't remove all the oil when you drain it; some stays, so the new oil is automatically contaminated to some degree and I think we will all agree that gas is a very pervasive and recognizable smell. How many miles in those couple of days ?

This is not necessarily something to worry about, but check it every few hundred miles to see how fast/bad it gets. If it is a motor issue then #1 rings #2 valve seats/guides.

B

I'm going into 160K, I did the oil change and I guess i ran about 50 miles on it, more or less.

Besides the smell of gas in your oil (as I have) does your pathy have the following:

answer these few questions so I can help you better.. and in the meantime check this discussion out.. read EVERY post because it also discusses my issue which is similar to yours but with added issues.. to which I am suspecting the fuel injectors.

Also, if you can, run yer ecu codes. I still have to run the codes for the moving vehicle part of the ecu tests..kinda hard to do with just me, myself and i..lol :rolleyes:

Are we on the same line of deduction or what? :D

Hey Slick

1) It smokes white when i start it up then goes away once it is warm

2) '92 with 160k

3) My gas mileage has stayed significantly the same, but I did notice recently that it has been wasting more gas than the usual. Plus, this is the first time the old oil has smelled like gas when i did the oil change. So far i think i have done 4 oil changes since i got my pathy almost a year ago. so i know the problem is pretty recent.

4) i was about 1 foot away from the drain plug, when I immediately notice the smell

5) haven't checked them all yet, since i dont have an extension long enough to reach those other 3 plugs :furious:

6) My anti freeze has remained at the same level.

I'll run the codes tomorrow and see it's running rich, which my suspicions, say it is.

I have fuel contamination in my oil as well. It was a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. Check my post in the Garage for more info on my situation. Good luck!

I recently replaced my maf around july, so i don't think this was the problem. I before my maf was giving me a problem though.

I checked everything out though and did find a leaky injector....right under the manifold, right behind the distributor. I wish it would of been easier to get out. Well, I guess i'm going to get a full tune up, once i get my tax return. But first things first, fix that injector.

Hey Slick

1) It smokes white when i start it up then goes away once it is warm

2) '92 with 160k

3) My gas mileage has stayed significantly the same, but I did notice recently that it has been wasting more gas than the usual. Plus, this is the first time the old oil has smelled like gas when i did the oil change. So far i think i have done 4 oil changes since i got my pathy almost a year ago. so i know the problem is pretty recent.

4) i was about 1 foot away from the drain plug, when I immediately notice the smell

5) haven't checked them all yet, since i dont have an extension long enough to reach those other 3 plugs :furious:

6) My anti freeze has remained at the same level.

I'll run the codes tomorrow and see it's running rich, which my suspicions, say it is.

:o did you steal my pathy??? *raises brow*

ok. same here with symptoms. It could actually be running LEAN also. I know when I took mine for a smog check my timing was at 14... now.. if I could ever find what it's supposed to be at.. the smog guy said it was 1 degree out.. so i am assuming they are set at either 13 or 15.... fat lot of help he was.... also.. check your charcoal cannister.. this is what i will be doing tomorrow... as we have the same year/pathy and close mileage.. we can work together to figure it all out. My biggest suspects are injectors or something related to timing or vaccum.

But you are not using any extra coolant? hmmm... does your gas mileage change from week to week? ine does.. one week i got 190 miles to a tank (driving it a little bit harder than normal) then the following week i was abck to 275-300 for the tank... :blink: frustrating isn't it?

Also.. i put 20/50 oil in her this time. Funny thing is my pathy runs great..which makes it more frustrating.. will let you know my findings tomorrow.. i also need to do a compression test.. UGH! :oops:

:o did you steal my pathy??? *raises brow*

ok. same here with symptoms. It could actually be running LEAN also. I know when I took mine for a smog check my timing was at 14... now.. if I could ever find what it's supposed to be at.. the smog guy said it was 1 degree out.. so i am assuming they are set at either 13 or 15.... fat lot of help he was.... also.. check your charcoal cannister.. this is what i will be doing tomorrow... as we have the same year/pathy and close mileage.. we can work together to figure it all out. My biggest suspects are injectors or something related to timing or vaccum.

But you are not using any extra coolant? hmmm... does your gas mileage change from week to week? ine does.. one week i got 190 miles to a tank (driving it a little bit harder than normal) then the following week i was abck to 275-300 for the tank... :blink: frustrating isn't it?

Also.. i put 20/50 oil in her this time. Funny thing is my pathy runs great..which makes it more frustrating.. will let you know my findings tomorrow.. i also need to do a compression test.. UGH! :oops:

I can't believe you haven't done a comp test yet... with all yer bitchin about failing smoggies and such.

I can't believe you haven't done a comp test yet... with all yer bitchin about failing smoggies and such.

i have been a VEERY tired puppy lately and dave is afraid to get wet in the rain..... now it ahs cleared up a bit he may venture out of his box

I'm going to fix the injector sometime this week. I would really hate it if it was just the gasket. gasket is $7.99, injector $57.99...hmmmm. I hope it just the gasket.

yeah.. that would suck... if i get 1 injector.. i know me.. i would have to have all 6... :blink: :oops:

Glad you said that, I was thinking the same !! BAD SLICK !!! BAD !!! It has been weeks !! Month+ ?? BAD SLICK !!! :D

B

all right already!!! geeeeeze! i been tired... and busy! and it's been rainin... (not that i care but dave is a bit delicate) it will be done sometime this week... :hide: