Couple pictures of the '05

Tx_Atty

yeah, the engine needs a cleaning. We had a major dust storm yesterday with gusts to 60 mph. Dust even came in through the windows. Today was cleaning the house and both cars.

What do I need to cover on this engine if I just (gently) use the garden hose to rinse? I clean my pickup that way but this is so completely different than a diesel.

probably nothing, just dont sit there and blast the electric connections with it, when i was mine down i take it and just blast down anything thats not electrical, like the intake manifold, just a lite spray down with a water hose shouldnt really mess any with anything

Guys, no distributor on the VQ engines in the 2001+ Pathfinders.

I'm a detailer, and I hate cleaning the engine just because of the "what if it doesn't start" deal. As said before, don't sit there and blast the connections. Don't spray the fuse box either. What you need is a good degreaser to spray before water hits the engine bay, then wash off the degreaser with a weak shower of water (avoid the powerful jet stream when you hose it off) . Then use a product called 303 Aerospace Protectant. This gives off a nice gloss and actually does protect and condition the rubber hoses and belts that suffer in the dusty, dry, hot conditions.

Have fun!

i have always left my motors running when i clean them.... haven't killed one yet... but i also don't "blast" them with a hard shot of water.. just enuff to get the mud out ;) (after prepping it with some tlc and a warm bucket of water and a sponge)

I do know not to blast. I regularly wash my truck engine so care is in order. The wife's engine isnt greasy yet, just dusty. We are having the worst drought in over 50 years so dust is everywhere. I was thinking I would just lightly spray to wash the dust off.

I am very unfamiliar with these new engines and the way they cover everything up. I havent taken a close look yet so dont even know where the fuse box is. Is there a simple way to cover it? I suppose these are self-evident questions once I open the hood and study awhile.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...