01 Pathfinder code P1320

Guest Luke

First off, I'm a newbie who just made my first post in the newbie forum. So, hello everyone.

Secondly, I'll admit that I know very, very little about cars. (kinda embarrasing to admit on a message board such as this)

Here is my issue.

2 weeks ago the SES light comes on yet car seems to run fine.

A day or two after that I notice a hesitation, almost like it wants to stall but doesn't. The truck shakes noticibly. At first the vehicle only did this when warming up but last week it did it for the entire 1 mile ride home from my fiance's. (marriage = the reason I don't have money for repairs) :blink: I noticed that during this time the SES light began flashing. When I got to within a block of my home the shaking/hesitation stopped and the light stopped flashing but stayed lit.

I was due for a 60,000 mile service so I figured what the heck and dropped it off at the dealer earlier this week to get the service completed. While there, the dealer ran a diagnostic check and said the computer came up with code P1320. He mentioned that I would need new coils and that there are six of them at $90 apiece. (not to mention labor) - I had no idea what he was talking about. He stated that I didn't need this work performed today but that I would need it soon. I left it at that and did not have the work performed. Picked up my car, started it, saw that the SES light was out and drove away.

Unfortunately, today just two days later, while cruising on the highway it happened again. Needless to say I'm at a loss. I've tried a search but P1320 doesn't come up (though I did read somewhere that code P1320 had something to do with the ignition) Ignition, coils... I'm clueless. :wacko:

I'm really hoping you guys could help me out and maybe save me some cash.

...and hopefully this will start me on my way to start fixing things myself.

Thanks.

I don't recognize the code.. but if you said it is ignition related.. and he was talking coils... 1+1=2 so ignition coil? as far as I know there is only 1 iggy coil... 6 would fry yer motor or electrocute a squirrel from 100 yards...

now.. i have never heard of an iggy coil causing a vehicle to shimmy/shake as yours did.. but make the motor shake from low idle vibration.. yes.. quite possible.

what year is your pathy again? auto or manual tranny? i am tired and lazy....

ok.. well look at that.. closed the topic and lo and behold it said 01 pathy... ok.. so i know very little about the newer pathys, but i am assuming all bar the larger engine and lack of a "real" frame it is basically the same... so.. lemme check on things for you..... :beer:

ok.. still checking but a google search brought this up...

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php...goto=nextoldest

and one for pathy's....

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/sh...8&Main=68029901

Edited by Slick

Thanks, Slick. :beer:

Okay, now I know that the dealer wasn't just talking out his arse as he said the same as was written on one of the links you posted.

Now, where are these coils, how much would they cost (dealer says $90 each) and is this something a newb like me could handle?

Thanks, Slick.   :beer:

Okay, now I know that the dealer wasn't just talking out his arse as he said the same as was written on one of the links you posted. 

Now, where are these coils, how much would they cost (dealer says $90 each) and is this something a newb like me could handle?

ok. i can show you a pic of one on my 92 pathy which has the smaller motor and i think they should be in relatively the same location... best way to tell... do you know where your distributor cap is? if so.. the center "plug" wire, in the middle of the cap.... follow that.. it will take you directly to your coil, which should be a smallish square black box lookin thing held on by 2 relatively small screws. easy to change.. go to kragen auto parts and order one.. it will be a LOT cheaper than a stealership... i will look up online for your part and get back to you.. 01 LE you said... bb inna bit ;)

that was fast.. here's a link to your part @ kragen auto parts .. the price may vary a bit because i used my zip code here in cali...

while you are there may i also suggest getting a haynes or chilton (i have a haynes) manual for your vehicle ;)

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.as...&SearchFor=Coil :aok:

Edited by Slick

Thanks again, Slick.

I'm not sure where my distributor is, but I think I can find it. LOL I'm not that bad... I hope.

Now for the clueless question. I see from the link you posted that there are different coils for 1 Cyl. & 2-6 Cyl. I'm going to guess the obvious and say that the 1 Cyl is specifically for one of the six cylinders and 2-6 match the rest. In your post you gave me the location of one. Are the others nearby? ( I need to replace all six since I can't be sure which one is bad, correct?)

Take it easy on me, I'm a newb.

Thanks again.

Thanks again, Slick.

I'm not sure where my distributor is, but I think I can find it. LOL I'm not that bad... I hope.

Now for the clueless question. I see from the link you posted that there are different coils for 1 Cyl. & 2-6 Cyl. I'm going to guess the obvious and say that the 1 Cyl is specifically for one of the six cylinders and 2-6 match the rest. In your post you gave me the location of one. Are the others nearby? ( I need to replace all six since I can't be sure which one is bad, correct?)

Take it easy on me, I'm a newb.

Thanks again.

i have been nothing but newb friendly.... i was one once..not so long ago...

ok. open the link. it has cyl 1 then below it is 2-6...

without looking at your motor or having a manual for your motor i dunno... if nissan said 6 then that's why there is cyl 1 then 2-6....

as for you distributor cap.. here.. pics are your friend.... :aok: remember.. these pics are MY 92 pathy motor.. yours will be slightly different but relatively the same in parts placement ;)

Sorry to burst your bubbles here folks, but if I'm not mistaken, the 01 has the 3.5 which no longer has a distributor, but 6 separate coils (coil pack) ignition. It's a totally different engine from our 3.0L VG engines, Slick........I don't think much of what you've said on locations is pertinent.

Sorry to burst your bubbles here folks, but if I'm not mistaken, the 01 has the 3.5 which no longer has a distributor, but 6 separate coils (coil pack) ignition. It's a totally different engine from our 3.0L VG engines, Slick........I don't think much of what you've said on locations is pertinent.

:o that sux...... i was just tryin to find a pic of the 01 motors so i could visualize wtf is under the hood..lol....

well.. i found him the parts anyhoo.... :hide: and he knows next time get a 1st gen pathy.... :hide: sssh

Starting from 2001 the Pathfinder received beautiful DOHC 3.5-liter 24-valve V6 engine (model VQ35DE, in the picture) also found in the Nissan Maxima and Murano. With ample power (250 hp with manual transmission), good low-end torque, advanced lightweight design and high durability, this engine, is one of the best in its class. Use of silent timing chain eliminated the need to replace the timing belt. Platinum spark plugs provide longer service intervals.

If properly maintained, you shouldn't expect any major problems with this engine.

Might I say "crap". I also did a search looking for a 3.5L pic or diagram online. Nada so far. Well I guess thats why I need six. Thanks, Simon. (thanks for nothing LOL) ;)

Looks like I'm mechanic bound. :angry:

Hey wait a second, that's my engine!!! LOL Well, mine's a little dirtier and well, apparently has bad coils. :angry: LOL

Thanks for your help though!!

Basically your coil pack should be easy to locate. Follow one of the sparkplug wires, starting at the plug, and moving back.....it will lead to the coil pack. The coils will be within the pack.

Basically your coil pack should be easy to locate. Follow one of the sparkplug wires, starting at the plug, and moving back.....it will lead to the coil pack. The coils will be within the pack.

Okay, seems easy enough. LOL I guess I should just do 'em one coil at a time based on what number plug I'm following. The plug wires are numbered aren't they? :unsure: If not, is it safe to assume that the one closest to the front of the vehicle is #1?

I'm thinking I may just be able to pull this off. I'm nervous but feeling more confident.

Thanks, everyone.

The coils will all be together.......follow any of the wires, and you'll see them all joined into a box together. That's your coil pack. The wires should be numbered, if they're the original wires.

The coils will all be together.......follow any of the wires, and you'll see them all joined into a box together. That's your coil pack. The wires should be numbered, if they're the original wires.

post-9-1135887681.jpg

Well I just took a peek under the hood. That "fancy" lol plastic cover is in the way and getting soaked by the rain isn't helping. :angry:

I may take off tomorrow and fiddle with it.

Now one more stupid question. There apparently are two different coils, one for cylinder 1 and one for cylinders 2-6. Do I have to buy 5 of the second coil or does one cover all of the remaining cylinders? I originally thought I needed six total but now I'm wondering. (and hoping as it would save a lot of $)

Alright, I've got a half day of work today. If I have time this afternoon I'm gonna give it a go. If not, I'll be out of town for a couple days and I'll give it a shot on Monday. Thanks everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I just hope I can pull this off without screwing anything else up. LOL I'll let you know how it goes. (smoothly, I hope)

Feel free to post any other tips if you like as I'll be stopping back periodically during the day.

Edited by Luke

With your guys help, how can I go wrong? :huh:

Okay I got some good news and some bad news.

Bad news first. Nobody has these coils in stock (AutoZone is the cheapest) so it's going to take a few days to get 'em.

Good news...

I rolled up my sleeves, popped the hood and got under there and took a look around. After a little searching I think I've been successful at locating all the coils. The plug wires were clearly labeled (though they looked alot different from what I was expecting -they look nothing like what I remember the "old school" plug wires looking) The wires didn't seem to lead to any "coil box" but instead going directly to the plug there was a little rectangular plastic box about 2" long, 1" thick and 1 1/2" wide. Is this the infamous coil? Or, is this something else? Each plug had one and when I followed the wires away from said box, the wires seemed to lead to various parts of the engine via a tube where multiple wires were hidden. (the nerve of Nissan!) LOL I took a picture of one of these boxes which I'm pretty sure are what I'm looking for, and was going to post it but I see I can't upload it here. :( No biggie. I'm sure my description isn't too confusing. LOL

I know I'm bordering on annoying now with all these questions. I just don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks.

Okay here you go:

The 2001+ Pathfinder has a distributorless ignition system. So, from my understanding, you have a bad coil pack. You have the same engine as the Maxima's, so the coil packs are on top of the spark plugs. There is one coil pack per spark plug, so six packs total.

I can tell you that when replacing the spark plugs on the VQ engine you have to take off the coil pack. When you take off the coil pack be very, very careful and make sure you don't bend the hose-like thingy. My brother did this in order to put the coil pack in easier he took off the hose and bent it, accidentally ruining the coil pack. So he had to drive to the Nissan dealer on five cylinders.

I understand from my brother that while these coil packs can fail like in your case, they are not a maintenance item like a spark plug. I don't know how you find which coil is bad. If you can find which coil is bad and need to order one but don't feel like getting ripped off by the dealer you can order from Dave Burnette. Dave works at South Point Nissan in Austin, TX as a parts man. He is second to none in Nissan knowledge and is one of the nicest people you will deal with. He is a legend on the Maxima community, everyone orders from him and everyone has been more than satisfied. Call Dave Burnette at (888) 254-6060.

Edited by OR99.5Speed

Thanks. I gave Dave a call figuring I could see what kind of price he could get me and also verify if what I'm looking at are indeed the coils. He's off today. Oh well, no biggie.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's help. Today it's a coil replacement, tomorrow it's a suspension lift... :P

Good news...

I rolled up my sleeves, popped the hood and got under there and took a look around. After a little searching I think I've been successful at locating all the coils. The plug wires were clearly labeled (though they looked alot different from what I was expecting -they look nothing like what I remember the "old school" plug wires looking) The wires didn't seem to lead to any "coil box" but instead going directly to the plug there was a little rectangular plastic box about 2" long, 1" thick and 1 1/2" wide. Is this the infamous coil? Or, is this something else? Each plug had one and when I followed the wires away from said box, the wires seemed to lead to various parts of the engine via a tube where multiple wires were hidden. (the nerve of Nissan!) LOL I took a picture of one of these boxes which I'm pretty sure are what I'm looking for, and was going to post it but I see I can't upload it here. :( No biggie. I'm sure my description isn't too confusing. LOL

I know I'm bordering on annoying now with all these questions. I just don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks.

I think that those plug wires are the wires on the coil pack that you aren't supposed to bend. If you do they will break and the coil will break, therefore not giving the cylinder any spark and rendering it dead until you replace the entire coil pack.

That rectangular plastic box is the coil pack. One of your six coil packs is bad. The pack is not servicable, and a new coil pack includes that hose thing and such.