Squeak Squeak Squeak

thepathfinder

I have a terrible squeeking noise coming from the front when i hent a bump or turn, u can even just shut a door or somthin and the squeak will happen. I got my dad to push down on the fender and i can feel the vibration on my shock and the brace at the top of the shock. I dont know what causes it, i greased it heavily and it stopped for bout a week but now its back and terribly embarrasing. Any help is much appreciated.

how do u "check" the bushings and where can i get em?

get under the front of your pathy.. and you'll see all the rubber "bushings".. they are usually between 2 moving parts on your front suspension .. they look like black rubber washers.. look closely at them to see how they look: ie: split..cracked.. really dry/cracked lookin... bad bushings can cause squeaks.. also check to make sure yo have no metal moving parts rubbing each other.. you will see shiney metal for that one... check your shocks for wear/damage.. are they old? rubbing? start there n let us know how you get on ;):aok: u can do eeeet

yeah, my truck was doing that and it annoyed the hell out of me so i jacked it up and took the drivers front tire off, turns out the nut on the shaft thingy that holds the UCA to the frame fell off and the UCA spread apart which over time cut my shock, fun fun

jump up and down on the bumper, if the truck bounchs up and down a few time then u should replace them and im sure there worn out by now, u can repalce them with Rancho 5000's, those seem to be the best all around and if u plan on lifting u can get Jeep GC coils and swap them for u stock coils and then crank up the torsion bars, the Rancho shocks will help complete that nicly, search around this forum using search, JGC and Tbar lift has been hit on so much that ur bound to find tons of info about, theres more to it then what i typed cuzz of that

also check your turn stops. they put a lil rubber "condom" of sorts over it but over the years that will wear through. then when you turn full chock and esp going over corners..it will rub metal to metal and make a god awefull squeaking noise. that could be part of the problem, and may be something that ALSO needs to be corrected..but it sounds like you have a few other issues besides that that are your main problems.

And if your squeak is what DSM described, then the best short term fix I have found is to smear some Hi-temperature lube (anti-sieze) on that bumpstop where the "condom" rubbed off. Get something that has zinc or copper (best) in it, it will look glittery.

And get the RS 5000s I put it off for a year after my stocks were bad and I regret it. ~$150 and you have to turn 8 nuts. Quick job, you don't even have to jack the rig up, I did it in a hurry after work before a date. And my mechanic at the time wanted $650 to put in monroe's...Santa Barbara style rip off.

Ok i searched for the lift but if neone could give me the combos for the lift i would appreciate it. Ok i know buy the jgc or ford coils in the rear, but for the front what all will i need, t-bars, coils, UCA's-what. I dont even drive it in 4wd that much cuz it kills the gas but i still want to b able to, i know the UCA's correct the angle or w/e but would i need them? and my t-bars are almoswt maxed out and they sag really bad so i guess i need aftermarket t-bars, but which of those for the front do i NEED, im on a tight budget? I really dont have many 4wheelin buddies :beer: so u guys are it, everyone round here jus says leave it stock and they cant give me ne advice so i need you guys-lol-Thanks alot-Matthew

well for one thing there is no coils on the front, the tbars take there place, if there maxed out and have no lift and u say there sagging then u should replace them

for the front:

torsion bars u could go with sway-a-way or Calmini or AC

for shocks in the front again AC or calmini, now those will help with the lift

then for the rear theres, again calmini, and thats a good price i actually think im going to do that if i dont do the JGC/Ford lift

and back over to the front, you UCA's (Upper Control Arms), you have calmini now those are very beefy and probably not what u need, so then u have rough country but u have to call them and order the UCA's separte but dont let them know its for a pathy, then again back over to AC for there UCA's

BTW: u shoud also get shocks for the rear, both AC and calmini sell them, Rancho's like the one AC as seem to be the one ppl like and go with and they wont break the budget

You could also just reindex the tbars, there's a how-to somewhere around here.  And Justin forgot to mention Bilstein shocks, people seem to really like them as well.

well u know what, i beat u to the tbar reindexing so blah

and yes theres a few other brands out there, one of which trent mentioned, i dont about monroe but thats another brand

why cant i spell today

Edited by FLApathy

um, usally with the new ucas and with everything on it should take just one more alignment

and no u dont want to touch it, very complicated, u understand the theory of camber caster and toe, anyway its done a machine/computer, ive seen it done at my dads work, very complicated

ok this is one of my ?'s that i know is kinda dumb but i need to know, on the reindexing the tbars it talks about "splines"-what are they-and could all this lift be done by myself and maybe a freind, cuz the labor in a shop kills me.

splines are like notches.. have you ever seen a driveshaft out of a vehicle? ..umm.. ok. you have a round end mmK... then you cut grooves in it lengthways.....which in turn fits snugly into whatever that has grooves (kinda like a male/female thang) ;) so it can not spin..umm.. i'm not doin a real good job of explaining am i? :blink:

yes.. liefts, indexing can be done in the comfort of oyur own driveway with good instructions.. good tools... and lots of breaks for -alcohol- :beer:

must have is a BFH P... .....................................and patience :wacko:

Slick you're killin' me over here with your explanation/description of splines! You go girl! Sometimes you even make me feel inadequate and I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined. You're the goods babe keep it up! Can we get a Jack and Coke for the lady please.? :beer:

M