'95 Pathy - Stereo wiring issue

prginocx

I have the schematic for the stereo I'm trying to install, but the stock wiring harness has been hacked off with a machete (Friggen maniac previous owner !). The chilton and haynes manual are less than specific about this model and year. This pathfinder has 5spd, rear window defroster / wiper, power mirrors, and most of the goody doodads. I believe it came with a fob for alarm control, who knows where that is...

Anyway, I've figured out the power / GND issues, but I can't seem to get the speaker wiring figured out. There are six speakers in the truck, 2 tiny ones on the front vertical support alongside the windshield, 2 front door speakers, and 2 rear top mounted speakers.

I can get sound out of all 6 speakers (I think), but I can't get the Fader / Balance to correctly control all of them. I have 2 pairs of blue, 2 pairs of pink, 2 pairs of grey, and three other unknown (I forgot the color, I'm working outside and it is 28 degrees (No comments from people in the Midwest)) wires left over.

I know at least some of them are not related to speakers, they are related to the instrument dimmer wiring.

Its been a while since I wired mine, can't remember which where where and what not. I know that the fronts were on a seperate plug and the rears were in the plug with the power/ground/...since yours is hacked that probably doesn't help :hide:

Just a note, you have 8 speakers, those little holes infront of the rear speakers in the roof are 2 more tweeters. ;)

Unfortunately I did view this install doc prior, and it doesn't really help. Here is what is in the install doc.

Blk / pink, Lt. Grn, Blk / Yel, Grn / Red, Brn, Blue, Red / Yel, Blk / Red, Blk / Wht.

These 8 wires are for speakers according to the install doc.

I only have two of the Lt. Grn wires, and two blue wires, on the radio harness coming out of the dash. I don't have Blk / Pink, Blk / Yel, Grn / Red, Brn, REd / Yel, Blk / Red, or blk white. Unfortunately this install doc in no way matches my dash wiring at all.

I do have two purple, two pink, two blue, a gray, two lt grn, and a few others. I do know these go to speakers cause they crackle when touched. I guess I'll have to hack it through using the fader and balance. Not even close enough to make a rough guess.

By the way this pathy has the 8 speakers like he said. Two tweeters in front vertical support, two front door speakers, two rear roof speakers, two rear roof tweeters.

I figured it all out. Like I said, the install doc doesn't really help. Here is what I figured out:

R Rear - = Pink wire

R Rear + = Blue

L Rear + = L Grn

L Rear - = Purple AND Pink (Why ? 'cause of the OEM amp ?)

R Front + = Pink

R Front - = Blue

L Front + = Purple

L Front - = L Grn

The red / grn wire from the Pathy is Ign Power ON. I used this one to power the pioneer. There is also a Pink / Blue wire that is 12 v all the time. I used this one for pioneer power on all the time. The Red wire from the Nissan is for the power ant.

I created my own ground with a solid lug to the chassis.

There are still three unknown wires, a gray, a pink / blk, and a pink / blue. I've done enough damage for one day, we will leave that alone.

Sound does work and Fader / balance does send it to the appropriate speaker and shut off all the others...

Good job. Yeah, its screwy. I had to match wire at the back of the deck and the rear amp in back, along with a tester and trial and error. In the long run, I went back and rewired around the stock wiring anyways, and I'd highly recommend this. Then you can go to better wire and have the piece of mind that its done RIGHT and not hacked together (especially since the previous owner apparently went to town on your wiring already). Anyways, its easy enough to just run the new wire and start fresh. Its a no brainer to pull up the edge of the carpet and run it back. Actually, its probably easier than tracing the old wiring and figuring it out, except for maybe getting the new stuff through the door and kick panel.

• 6 years later...