electric proplems

dfather99

So a couple of months ago (maybe august) my 4WD light kept flashing on and off and on and off. So I wiggled the shifter and it really didn’t' do too much. After a little while, it seemed to stay on for a long time and I just dismissed it. Then on thanksgiving, I had pulled over to let a Subaru by who was coming down a hill sideways. When I went to put the car back into drive it wouldn't let me so I turned off the car (or it was already off) and when I tried to start it nothing I didn't freak because it always does that so I did it again nothing. I figured out that the car didn't recognize the tranny was in park. Well to make a long story short after tearing about my center counsel I found that my engine control fuse was blown. I replaced it good as new! And the 4WD light stopped flashing for a day or so then is started back up again. Then just last night I got to turn on my car and this horrible electric buzz comes on and when I rolled up the window, everything dims. I let the car warm up and drive it goes away. However, it did not do this morning when I started it up. Also I used to always blow the horn fuse which I don’t' use that much. I do have a phone charger and a radar detector in the lighter outlet if that makes (which I have unplugged now) a difference. Thanks

so it happend again today i was goin dow an icy hill and i was down shifting and then my heater, all my gauges (but the back light stayed on) and everything on my instrument cluster went out i put it in park again and couldn't get it out. I found out that i replaced the "METER" fuse not the enging control. i had a lot of stuff running like the read defrost the wipers 4WD the lights the heater and more i dono if i overloaded it or what i jsut don't want to keep on changing 10v fuses

Guest chainsaw

i can tell you that a radar detector and a phone charger in the lighter outlet won't cause any problems even if they are connected at the same time on a splitter. so that should be the least of your worries.

I'm thinking that the issue could be everything from bad ground/battery contacts, failing voltage regulator in the alternator to wiring shorts. Honestly, I think all you can do is start with the basics and keep checking/troubleshooting from there. Keep us informed though, at some point you may mention a known issue symptom...

B

That's the same fuse that blew on me a couple weeks ago, but I have a manual trans. The interlock button stopped working, and the heater blower too. I replaced it and all was fine from that point. That's funny, cause I used to blow horn fuses often too. I just decided to hardly use the horn, and went ghetto and replaced the fuse with 1 size larger. I know, I know... Post if you ever figure this out.

well i took off the fog lights and recut and taped the wires and the 4wd light didn't flash as much. then i went in and had an oil change and they changed the battery and poof it stopped, well for the ride home anyways. we'll see how it does. the one other thing i noticed is that both before and after my new batery my votage meter reads about 14volts is that okay or should i kick around the battery for a while. we'll see if i blow any more fuses. :beer:

so it happend again in christmas eve traffic, the "meter" fuse blew again does anyone know what this could be or where i should check. It seems to happen when i down shift on my automatic trans. and ideals would be greatly accepted b/c this is a pita -thnkboutit-

after my new batery my votage meter reads about 14volts is that okay

I assume thats when it is running, and yes, that is normal.

the "meter" fuse blew again does anyone know what this could be or where i should check. It seems to happen when i down shift on my automatic trans.

Off hand, I don't know about the meter fuse, but I'll poke around tomorrow a bit to see if I can come up with anything. Because you mention the shifter, maybe remove the console and make sure any contacts are clean ? I think there is also an issue with the button also ? I don't have an automagic so I'm going by memory and possibilities. I'm afraid you are going to have to chase this one.

Something easy also, is the neg battery cable in good shape and has good contact on the body end ? Cant hurt to look. :shrug:

B

Something easy also, is the neg battery cable in good shape and has good contact on the body end ? Cant hurt to look. :shrug:

B

that's my first guess.. definately something is loose... maybe in the shifter area since it won't let you select sometimes..

So the other day the gas light come on. I had about a 1/4 of a tank of gas according to my gas guage that never has worked all that well. I went out and wiggle the ground cable to the battery and so far the 4X4 light has stayed off but now the damn gas nlight stays on i give up :shrug: I'm gonna put some gas in it tommarow and see what it does but man oh man this is dumb :confused:

Edited by dfather99

CURRENTLY THE 4X4 LIGHT HAS NOT FLASHED ON SINCE I FOOLED AROUND WITH THE GROUND WIRE, THE GAS LIGHT STILL STAYS ON REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH GAS IS IN THE TANK. AND TODAY I BLEW MY TURN SIGNAL FUSE :help: -thnkboutit- . I'M ABOUT TO BLOW A FUSE. THE ONLY THING I CAN FIGURE IS THAT IT HAS TO DO WITH THE IGNIITION RELAY B/C THAT IS WHAT THE METER AND THE TURN SIGNAL FUSES ARE CONECTED TO. I'M THINKING ABOUT CHANGING THE RELAY AND SEEING WHAT THE DOES. I'M KNOW THOMAS EDISON BUT MAYBE THE RELAY IS WARN OR SHORTED. WE'LL SEE ANY THOUGHTS COMMENTS ARE WELCOME

You must be really mad cuz you're yelling :P

You definately have a short if you are blowing fuses.

I wish I had of seen this a little sooner although with all your symptoms it's made this a little easier. The battery replacement (which is exactly what mine was doing when my battery was bad) was probably needed because of this short that is somewhere on the wiring that goes in the same direction as your gas level sensor and one of your signal lights. Look for wiring that is exposed to either people (feet under the drivers dash) or the elements (under the hood or undercarriage), these wires will either be shorting to ground or to another wire. If the fuse blows and you haven't even used the signal light, (i.e. you haven't switched it on) then the short is between the 12V source (fusebox) and the switch. If it blows after you switch the signal light on, then the short is after the switch toward the bulb (don't even worry about the flasher in between). I don't think it is a relay problem, usually if they fail, the fuse won't blow, the cct simple won't work (i.e. there will be no signal).

Happy troubleshooting and don't let it get the best of you. Hint: look for exposed or pinched wires.

well i was just looking at the wiring diagram in my haynes manual (which i don't think is too acurate) and it seems that the fuses that i've been blowing may be connect to the adjustable shock absorbers, which were replaced this summer and i doubt the wires were ever tied up or taped or cut. I'll try to check this out but i have no access to a garage anytime soon so we'll see.

if that is not the proble i have an idea of where it could be i've got some wires that come off the batter that finde them selves close to the engine every now and again i can double check that. thanks for the info deej