just joined the broken frount end club

MiSh

did some heavy 4x4ing on the weekend and heard a creak in the frount end. Got out and had a look for posible broken tie rod. All was good so i got back in the car. On the way home i took a corner to quick and heard a snap. Got out and i saw the right hand tire on a mega lean. But to my suprise it wasnt the tie rod but the bolt that conects the centre link to main suspension thingy had been sheared(technical term).Will all i need be a new bolt and all the bushes.

Is it worth taking it into a suspension shop as all my other bushes are shot anyways. Get them to do it all at once

hmmm... yo have me confused. There are no bolts on the centerlink. Unless you have a steering stabalizer (horizontal shock), you have 4 connect points, all of which are ball joints (each side to tie-rod, pitman and idler). If one of these has 'snapped', you are probably looking at a new centerlink (if at the pitman or idler) or a new tie rod end. :shrug:

E609140.gif

Edited by k9sar

Why would someone shoot someone else's bushes?!?!? Who would have such a hate on for shrubbery?!?! :P

If I were you, and you have the inclination, do it yourself. The work is labour intensive....so you're paying more for elbow grease than for parts in this situation.

I would to all of them at once though, get it done and over with.

I'm thinking he means one of the control arms... Yes, have them check the other bolts, and when they do that, put in new bushings. Having them check/replace the ball joints is also recommended as they will be right there and it won't cost much more than the parts. Specify you want QUALITY ball joints with zerk fittings so they can be greased. I believe Moog's are like that.

B

I can't quite tell from how small it is Mish, but if you had broken the bolt that attaches the drag link to the Idler arm you would only be steering one wheel.

Can you send me a photo to my phone and I can maybe tell you what is broken?

Justin