Popped my tire.

TeenZombie

It snowed very very heavy all last night. I was out of school today so I have been out and about with my girlfriend. It has given me a good opporunity to use my 4WD. While I was out I popped my rear left tire. I was able to drive it up the street to my local tire service place. I got it patched for only 4 bucks! What a deal!

No real point to this, just an interesting story.

Teen, I highly recommend picking up a tire plug kit. The one you want will be a T handle with interchangable ends (1 reamer and a few insertion tips) and 5 or 10 plugs. You want the nasty, gooey, long, thick black ones, don't waste your time with the red ones that need glue, or any that need glue for that matter. I have plugged so many tires I can't count them. I put something like 9 plugs in one tire (sometimes using more than 1 plug per hole) down in Baja and drove another 1200 miles on it before I changed it when I got home. My BMW K75 back tire has a plug in it for 4 years now and I have never had to add air. They work great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Add a $10 foot pump and you are all set. I don't know how many times I've plugged someones tire in a parking lot or where ever and they slip me $10. ;)

B

Teen, I highly recommend picking up a tire plug kit. The one you want will be a T handle with interchangable ends (1 reamer and a few insertion tips) and 5 or 10 plugs. You want the nasty, gooey, long, thick black ones, don't waste your time with the red ones that need glue, or any that need glue for that matter. I have plugged so many tires I can't count them. I put something like 9 plugs in one tire (sometimes using more than 1 plug per hole) down in Baja and drove another 1200 miles on it before I changed it when I got home. My BMW K75 back tire has a plug in it for 4 years now and I have never had to add air. They work great, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Add a $10 foot pump and you are all set. I don't know how many times I've plugged someones tire in a parking lot or where ever and they slip me $10.  ;)

B

why to make it useful

and yes i must say those plugs are the best, my dad uses them at his shop (dealer)

Edited by FLApathy

Here you go...

Yeah DustyDevil, the only time you would need 2 spares is if you left 1 at home... You know how it goes. I have a matching 31" tire as a spare. The price isn't that big of a difference (or just mount a used one) and worth it to me. I also bring a GOOD plug kit and bicycle pump. Once, down in Baja California and out in boonies, I SEVERELY punctured a tire and wound up putting 12 plugs in 9 holes !! It went something like this: Pump up tire for 5 minutes (pant), 'hissss', locate and plug hole. Pump up tire for 5 minutes (pant), 'hissss', 'she-it, another one ?', locate and plug hole. Pump up tire for 5 minutes (pant), 'hissss', 'Aww Man, another one ?', locate hole 'darn thats big...' plug hole twice. Pump up tire for 5 minutes (pant), 'hissss', 'No, Please, not another one ?', locate and plug hole. Repeat this until you feel like crying (it was about 110 degrees and there is no shade in Baja)

I'm not sure what I hit, but I think it was something like a cactus, 64 feet of downed barb wire, 4 ice picks, a case of broken bottles, 2 steer skeletons and Cortez's shin bone. Of course, I had already blown a tire off the rim earlier that day so the options were limited at that point. I drove that tire till I got home (about 3k miles). To anybody who tells me plugs dont work, I say dont buy cheap ones, and learn how to do it right 

Bernard

B

I used to work in a tire shop and heard/saw some pretty weird things end up in a tire.

I've heard tale of a guy's tire being popped by a rattlesnake fang. The guy who patched the tire had to be rushed to the hospital. (anyone else have something to add to that?)

I had to pull a fork outta one of the 245/75/r16's on my 94 GMC, replaced all four of them with 285/75/r16's :D

I had to pull a BOLT, eg, flat on the bottom, out of some lady's tire, the shops owner said that it happens quite a lot, the front tire will flip it up with enough force that the flat part of the bolt will puncture a tire.

Yep, I put a bolt in the tread and out the sidewall of the back tire of my motorcycle 15 years ago. It went flat instantly. On the freeway. In traffic... Guess what, motorcycles with flats DON'T TURN !!! Damn near rammed the guy ahead of me. When I was pulling off to the side I could hear the tick, tick, tick of the bolt head hitting the swingarm 1 per rev. Needless to say that was it for that day...

B

• 2 weeks later...

But don't buy one of the cheap a$$ plug kits like i did. Make sure the T-handle is burly. You will be cranking on it. I broke mine a month ago when my housemate picked up a triangular chunk of metal. So instead I threaded a 1/4" masonry screw into it (the kind whose threads tighten near the head) and it is golden. I hope he gets in plugged soon tho.

I was going about 70 in my old Wrangler with 32" mud tires when the left front tire went. I'll tell ya, 70 mph + 32" flat front + real short wheelbase = a change of shorts! Lucky it happened when it did though because two more miles and I would've been on the Woodrow Wilson bridge (or maybe in the Potomac).

**Rubs Slick for Luck :hide:

:o woot! *holds out her feet to be rubbed* sly i have had SLOW flats (leaking valve stems.. like right now :angry: ) but never a blow out ..thank god :bow: (i had 38.5" swapers on my big truck) nor a pow flat.. just slow annoying flats... P...