Engine removal

unccpathfinder

from my other topic im thinking the motor is going to have to come out here before too long so my question is about the steps the FSM has listed and do they have to be done i searched around and couldnt find anything on it so if theres other topics about it if some1 could drop a link that'd be great

i know the following must be removed:

a/c compressor

ps pump

accelerator cable

heater core

exhaust

radiator

think the starter but not sure

harness and grounds

motor mounts

tranny

i might have missed some obvious stuff but i think i got most of it

the FSM says i need to remove propeller shaft and crossmember tranny and its crossmember and the front driveshaft bolts

so is it really necessary for all of that other stuff to be pulled i know loosening up the tranny and sliding it back on its cross member will help me out but dropping everything out seems to be a lot of extra work

well you might want to disconnect the tranny, unless you plan on taking it all out at once. :P;)

one more thing about he heater core. I have seen a plethera of people screw up there heater core on high milage vehicles when removing the hoses, cause the get rough with them. The connections are brazed and if you get too rough with them, you can crack them, then the inside passengers side floor gets wet and the cab smells like antifreeze

once you remove the rad and the fan, you should have the clearance to slide the engine forward and pitch the nose up in order to seperate from the tranny. Beware, the bolts at the top of the tranny are a bitch to get to w/o extensions and u-joints on your socket. Personally, I would NOT recommend pulling the engine. If it's a bearing problem, you can get at them from under. To get your pan out, you might need to lift the engine a little or remove one cross member but that's much easier than disconnecting everything and yanking the whole engine

OK K9sar you just got my attention. I know you have been around Pathys a long time. How do you get the pan off without engine removal? I tryed, but I guess I was too stupid to figure it out. The oil pick up prevented me from moving the pan far enough to get it to clear front diff.

Please explain more completely. This is something important to know and understand for me.

I dropped the front diff and the cross member that were in the way, undid the mount bolts and hiked the beast up as far as I could flex it without thinking I was gonna do serious damage.

Edited by k9sar

well if i do this its gonna be snatching this motor out and dropping another in so i have the least amount of down time

thanks for the heads up on the heater core i had a fun tango with 1 of those in an olds acheva my mom had when i was about 15 it was PITA to change and some great engineer thought it was smart to make the inlet and outlet tubes out of plastic so they cracked and emptied in about 2 mins (although he did redeam himself a lil bit by enclosing the core and having a drain that ran it outside instead of in the floorboard)

if yer gonna swap, do maintenance ont he replacement before pulling the old one. timing belt, water pump, cam seals, t-stat, head studs, whatever. Much easier on the bench than in the truck.