timing belt, water pump, and what else?

rokris8079

I am finally going to bring the pathfinder in for the timing belt and waterpump. I was wondering if there was anything else I should change at the same time. Trying to save some money on labor and headaches down the road. Through my searching everyone says "seals". Anyone have any specifics on this, or better yet nissan part numbers? The truck needs new drive belts also should I get those done at the same time? Any help here is appreciated.

If your going to have the front end apart.... Thermostat, its 3 more bolts.... put new drive belts back on.....

The Seals I believe are the Cam Seals.... there are other that have had more exp with those... Ive never touched em...

there are 3 seals that can be changed all 3 of mine were leaking very small amounts of oil.. its 2 cam shaft seals and the crank shaft seal at the bottom of the motor(obviously) a visual inspection will tell you if they are leaking. when i removed the timming belt cover i noticed a small amount of oil around all three seals but it was small enough that at 5000k after a oil change it was not noticeable on the dip stick.

yup, camshaft (cam) seals and the crank one too although never heard of anyone having problems with that.. it's still a good idea.... all new belts and i would say new hoses (t-stat) also.. you might as well do the plugs, dizzy, wires.. it will be practically new..

i believe its also the camshaft seal that should be checked and changed if needed. maybe someone else can verify this.

weups...i meant CRANKshaft seal ahahaha...i read "cams" and typed it too hehehe...sorry about that.

the passenger side cam shaft seal is more prone to leak .. by leaking, i dont mean leaking tons of oil..a very slow gradual leak which doesnt even feel wet in my case..ususally the oil from the leak is all caked up and kinda hardens up ..but its visual and if u use a tiny screw driver to scrape off the the caked oil ull know what im talking ..

i didnt have any signs of leak on my driver side camshaft seal and the crank shaft seal so i left them alone.. if u got the patience u can change all 3 ..

so is there anywhere else that the vg33e is prone to leaking?? I have a decent leak that hits the bottom of the alt. (on one of the bolts holding it to the engine) and about same spot on the other side also. It does not show on the dip stick but after a good power wash it returns down below the diff and try's to drip off the frame in about 3500 miles.

Unfort. the other day when I was busy spinning on a fresh Napa Gold, I got dripped on by some antifreeze....where in the "H" could that have came from?? My poor pathy has 94K on it, and as soon as I sell my REX I am putting a good chunk of it into the T-Belt and other normal maint goodies.

Parts list and pics from my 97 change last year:

21501-0W501 Radiator Hose Upper

21503-0W001 Radiator Hose Lower

14055-0W000 Coolant Bypass Hose

14055-0W??? Small Hose to Thermostat

21200-V7206 Thermostat

13028-0B785 Timing Belt

13070-42L00 Timing Belt Tensioner

21010-0W028 Water Pump

13042-0B001 Camshaft Seals

02117-88023 Drive Belts

11720-0W002

11920-0W002

http://groups.msn.com/LewisPictures/97path....msnw?Page=Last

lewisnc100 thanks for the pics and the part numbers. One question though, was it necassary to change the tensioner? Since I am ordering the parts and have to wait for them to ship I don't want my mechanic to have the dam thing apart and then tell me he needs another part.

Also is there any nissan gaskets for the waterpump or thermostat?

I am going to do the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve and air filter also. I just got four brand new 265/70/r15 Yokohama ht/s's last week and a computer allignment. A few months ago I got the front suspension done. This truck is going to be absolutely perfect when I am done.

By the way the truck is in need of a tune up and I still get about 300 miles on a tank of gas with almost all highway miles. With some city it's slightly less.

so is there anywhere else that the vg33e is prone to leaking?? I have a decent leak that hits the bottom of the alt. (on one of the bolts holding it to the engine) and about same spot on the other side also. It does not show on the dip stick but after a good power wash it returns down below the diff and try's to drip off the frame in about 3500 miles.

Unfort. the other day when I was busy spinning on a fresh Napa Gold, I got dripped on by some antifreeze....where in the "H" could that have came from?? My poor pathy has 94K on it, and as soon as I sell my REX I am putting a good chunk of it into the T-Belt and other normal maint goodies.

dont sell the REX man .. thats what i turn to when i need that awesome rush of power and torque .. i just put a Kerker Meg., k&N pods and re jetted with Factory Pro stage 3.0 kit this week .. still need to adjust needle position .. too cold to go for test rides ... but that kerker race meg. shreiks like a formula 1 car ..awesome raw barking sound ..

are u a member of the www.zrxoa.org ?

lewisnc100 thanks for the pics and the part numbers. One question though, was it necassary to change the tensioner? Since I am ordering the parts and have to wait for them to ship I don't want my mechanic to have the dam thing apart and then tell me he needs another part.

Also is there any nissan gaskets for the waterpump or thermostat?

I am going to do the dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, fuel filter, pcv valve and air filter also. I just got four brand new 265/70/r15 Yokohama ht/s's last week and a computer allignment. A few months ago I got the front suspension done. This truck is going to be absolutely perfect when I am done.

By the way the truck is in need of a tune up and I still get about 300 miles on a tank of gas with almost all highway miles. With some city it's slightly less.

i just used the high temp. rtv gasket sealant ( red one) for the water pump and thermostat .. waited for 2 hrs so it set then fired it up .. not a drop leaking anywhere..good stuff ... just make sure u clean/scrape the old gasket material on the mating surfaces, finish off with fine grit sand paper.. the gasket material on the block for the water pump is a bitch ..had to spray a gasker remover and use a blade with a scraper to get it all off ..take ur time ..dont rush ...

..take ur time ..dont rush ...

I am having my mechanic do all the work. It's just too dam cold for me to do anything myself. Thanks for the input on the gaskets. I was just wondering if nissan used a gasket originally or if it was the liquid sealant.

• 5 weeks later...

Well I finally got the truck in the shop for the tbelt. I guess I needed one more part. The dam crankshaft pully was split in two! It just spins freely. It's all rotted out and the rubber dampener is shot. That thing costs more than all the other parts combined. Dealer only part and the list price is $213! Truck was in the shop on saturday so everything is closed. Plus I will probably have to order the part and wait for it to come in so I will be without the pathy for a few more days! Better to find out this way instead of the truck breaking down with my wife driving the baby around. Strange thing is the truck had been driving beautiful!

Call around to all the local Nissan dealers if you are ordering the balancer (or any other Nissan part) yourself... in my experience, around here the price of any given item can very greatly from dealer to dealer.