Wheel Stud Broken

Simon

Looking for assistance as stated above. One of my front studs broke at about the halfway point of it's length. The remaining stud is not long enough to get a lug on, so must be replaced. I haven't looked into it yet, but was wondering if anyone here has done it, and if so, what does it entail?

Thanks for any and all input.

:beer:

Okay....searched again, and found Mr. Pickles had a similar happening. (his was stripped, but still needed to be replaced) One of the instructions said to remove the hub, hammer out old stud from the front, place new stud in, and tighten the lug on the stud until it seats in the hub. Sounds easy enough. I'm going to give it a shot on the weekend. If I don't screw the job up too much, I'll do a little writeup.

Okay....searched again, and found Mr. Pickles had a similar happening. (his was stripped, but still needed to be replaced) One of the instructions said to remove the hub, hammer out old stud from the front, place new stud in, and tighten the lug on the stud until it seats in the hub. Sounds easy enough. I'm going to give it a shot on the weekend. If I don't screw the job up too much, I'll do a little writeup.

I don't remember the proper procedure for wheel studs but it invoves heating the hub to expand the metal before you tap the old stud out and again before you insert the new stud. I'll search

I replaced all of mine years ago due to some WE-B-IDIOTS tire shop over torquing. I did not need to heat the hub, but, as I recall (so it's questionable), I had to remove the front hub due to clearance. I used WD40 and a sacrificial nut to prevent mushrooming the lug. When installing the new stud, I lined up the splines and used a spacer (socket or over sized nut) and lug nut so I could see it was fully seated.

Geez Simon, 87-108 ft lbs or 118-147 Nm is the proper torque, so only about 1/3 your weight on a 1 foot bar... :D

Make sure to clean the hole before you put in the new stud (wire bruch and brake cleaner), you do NOT want any crud or lubricants in the hole. A press is the right way to do it, but you can use your truck, some wood blocks and a bottle jack... Presto, instant 1-2 ton press... ;)

B

Geez Simon, 87-108 ft lbs or 118-147 Nm is the proper torque, so only about 1/3 your weight on a 1 foot bar... :D

Make sure to clean the hole before you put in the new stud (wire bruch and brake cleaner), you do NOT want any crud or lubricants in the hole. A press is the right way to do it, but you can use your truck, some wood blocks and a bottle jack... Presto, instant 1-2 ton press... ;)

B

Yeah, I know. My problem is I bought one of those multiple ended tire irons in the cross pattern. I forgot how much torque you can get on one of them. D'OH!!!! P...