Synthetic lube all around?

Electrifyliak

So I've been hearing a lot about people putting synthetic lube in their tranny's, diff's, etc. And it's supposed to really free up the drive train. So I did some searches in here about it and did not come up with a lot except to use gl-4 only. I know nissans can be picky about lubes so I was just wondering if it would hurt anything to go synthetic in the diffs too. And does the transfer case have it's own lube? And if so could I go synthetic there too? Point me in the right direction if there's a whole thread about this that I missed. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, definitely GL-4 only for the manual tranny !! I think thats the only really picky one other than if you have the LSD rear end.

MT: 5qts GL-4 75w-90 or 80w-90

Transfer case: 2.4 pts ATF Dextron

Front axle: 3.1pts GL-5 80w-90

Rear axle: 5.9 pts GL-5 80w-90

LSD rear: Same but with limited slip additive

Power Steering: ATF Dextron

Putting in the compatible synthetic in the tranny, and front and rear differentials is a good idea unless you do a lot of water crosssings. You'd change the oils so much it would cost a mint... I haven't owned an auto tranny for a long time, so I don't know much about grades of ATF.

B

(info is for a 95)

I have all synthetic fluids in my pathy. Amsoil in the front and rear diff and the transfer case, redline in the trans and mobil 1 in the engine.

I think I even bought synthetic fluid for my brakes and clutch, but I can't remember.

I have dino oils all around but i change them very often. I drain the AT pan every other oil change and fill it up (it's 1/2 capacity or so), and I change the diff/t-case fluids about 4 times a year. BTW.. I change my engine oil every one to two thousand miles depending on how much I wheel. Running synthetic with those fluid change intervals would be insane.

Transfer case: 2.4 pts ATF Dextron

i switched mine to gl lube in there w/o adverse effects over a year ago. i have nothing else with dextron..

and i'll second the part that if you wheel a lot it may not be the most sensible thing to go to synthetics..

If you have a limited slip rear, it might require a bit of extra additive, even with a good quality synthetic. Our 94 did, and my tranny / driveline guru buddy said that's not unusual. You'll know if it starts to hem & haw when making tight low speed turns, like into a driveway, etc.