Changing spark plugs

QuismO

hey guys and gals, for those of you with the vg33 engine, what kind of socket wrench are you using to take out the spark plug closest to the firewall? i'm having trouble gaining access and a good angle as the firewall gets in the way with extensions etc. any tips?

Check the bag with the spare tire tools. There should be a special tool - actually its a long socket and an extension that's bent - that lets you get to the spark plug closest to the firewall. Even with the tool, you'll need to lay across the (hopefully) cool engine. Its also still a blind reach to stick the socket with the spark plug back into the hole so memorize where the plug is - maybe leave the plug wire close to the hole, and use lots and lots of light.

Edited by t0ast

how funny...when i was rotating the tires over the weekend, i was wondering what on earth those extensions were for as they didn't seem to have any function in terms of the wheels/tires. thanks man!

ian

I dont think Ive come across this tool, wonder if my pathy's original owner still has it - anybody have pics of it??

I have actually heard the tool you need is this: :Magic:

ok so i took advantage of a rare sunny weekend during this rainy winter season in san fran and gave my car a little tune up. after doing the brakes, oil and filters, i pulled out the spark plug tools from the tire tool bag and gave it a shot. i'll tell ya, those tools make it a breeze!

now for a question. how often should i change the spark plugs as far as mileage intervals are concerned? my car has about 137k miles on her if that makes any difference.

thanks guys n gals

It depends on what kind of plugs you got. I installed some NGK Iridium IX's and they are supposed to last 60k miles. But refer to this link:

Spark Plug FAQ

Quoted from the site:

Standard copper plugs usually have an estimated service life of 10,000 to 20,000 miles depending upon design and application, Denso recommend changing their Iridium Power plugs before the maximum 30,000 miles, NGK's Iridium IX may last up to 60,000 miles in a standard use car engine. Double platinum types may last 60,000 miles or more and some NGK and Denso OEM Iridium types may last up to 120,000 miles.

Edit: Depending on how often you want to go through with changing the 6th plug influenced my spark plug choice.

Edited by DJ Dank

thanks dank! the link was helpful indeed. i'm currently using bosch platinums...maybe i'll just replace them every 20-25k miles. that 6th spark plug was a breeze with the included tools, so i wouldn't mind changing them often (well not too often, don't want the thread to go bad)...however, i might consider using those iridiums. i used those on my girlfriend's yota rav4 as they were recommended in the manual.

thanks again! =)

ian

It depends on what kind of plugs you got. I installed some NGK Iridium IX's and they are supposed to last 60k miles. But refer to this link:

Quoted from the site:

Edit: Depending on how often you want to go through with changing the 6th plug influenced my spark plug choice.

Dank where do you get the iridiums? Got a part number? any good prices you've seen ?

nevermind I got these BKR5EIX-11 for 6.95 a piece. hope thats good

Jason

Edited by merlinx

Got them off Ebay...that sounds about right for the price. RIght around $6 a piece. Big difference in price compared to the Copper normal NGK's for around $2-$3 a piece.

But like I said, I've only changed my plugs once so far and after my experience with the 6th, I'll pay the extra $3 a plug to not have to change it as often.

I can't remember the part #...but http://www.ignition-system.com/ has good prices. I bought my NGK plug wires, and cap/rotor from them for cheap.

If you have any problems locating them, let me know. Also, don't try to gap the Iridiums...as when I was installing them initially, i tried to gap one of them b/c they were off by a minute amount...and ended up chipping off the diode. (the diode has the diameter of like a pinhead)

• 2 weeks later...

Just did my plugs and wires, The tools in the truck worked perfectly. Took me 5min on each even the dreaded #6

Im in cali and I wanted to get the NGK wire set. I almost ordered from sparkplugs.com cause they are in cali but I ordered from http://www.autopartsfair.com cause they were $5 cheaper plus free shipping and no tax (they were in NC). I got them the next day!!!! Came right from california too

Lucked out

Did these spark plug tools happen to come in a black bag under the rear cargo floor?

I realized that I have no jack or spare tire tools, or spark plug tools. Where should I get theis stuff from, junkyard or Dave Burnette, the Nissan Parts Guy?