CRASH!....take 2

lovebunny

so i had a race this weekend and was having the run of my life till i fell and demolished myself.im okay now. pretty much i got a decent concussion, destroyed both knees with abrasions, and fractured my toe. aparently i was pretty bad for a while there at the race as far as not knowing people and @!*%. i nearly passed out once in urgent care and again in the ER. im ok now im all bandaged up and moving around isnt very apealing to me. also im having some memory loss. the doctor said that would last about a week so be patient with me. heres a pic of my race garb from today

00fac39.jpg

I take it thats before the wreck ?

Damn Bud, I'm glad you are ok... Just take it nice and easy for a bit and listen to the Doc. I've been banged up bad several times and have an idea of how you feel. It ain't funny... Rest up and you'll be back in action soon enough. Be well !

B

yeah i dont like the losing whole hours of my memory at a time. thats not good. i was pissed too because i just passed the guy who started in front of me(30 sec in front) and then i ate crap. then after i knew i could ride i gave the next guy about 15 seconds and pinned it and passed him too. that was before the pain set in.

I take it thats before the wreck ?

Damn Bud, I'm glad you are ok... Just take it nice and easy for a bit and listen to the Doc. I've been banged up bad several times and have an idea of how you feel. It ain't funny... Rest up and you'll be back in action soon enough. Be well !

B

yeah thats before. heres awake but not concious lovebunny after the wreck. this is one of the things i dont remember

00fac52.jpg

Hehe this reminds me of the time my friend got knocked out and went to the hospital when he finally came too he asked my other friends how long he had been out *BAD IDEA*

They told him he had missed three days of school... :lol: Took him forever to figure out they where joking.

I skipped on both of my knees on asphalt at about 30mph once... Not only were they hamburger, they were horribly bruised ! I hobbled for weeks after I could move them so I know what you are looking forward to...

Soak in a warm tub for a while to loosen things and have a small sharp pair of scissors so you can trim rather than tear the scabs. Also, they make something called 'second skin' or something that. It is a thin film cover for road rash and burns. Look it up and ask your doctor, I highly recommend it; it's worth every penny !! If you can't find it, let me know, I will. Main thing is easy with your head, you just sloshed your brain pretty good and it needs some R&R... You'll be fine, just acknowledge your injurys and respect them.

B

Damn you TJ, first you cancel our wheeling outing cause you crashed the Pathy, now you can't even ride shotgun with me.....Just kidding....Take care of the head thing....those concussions can come back to haunt you for years if you don't let the first one heal right....

Glad to hear youre OK now....What happened to your helmet, and the Bike?

Ummmm.... Stupid Question.....

I have seen other pics of you with full biker armor. Any reason why your not wearing any in these pics??

Sorry someone had to ask :hide:

well as you can see the clothes i was wearing werent very friendly for armor. it was as a joke and i actually raced one class below normal so that i wouldnt have to push. but i was wearing uppers. it would have been alot worseif i didnt have the uppers

Damn you TJ, first you cancel our wheeling outing cause you crashed the Pathy, now you can't even ride shotgun with me.....Just kidding....Take care of the head thing....those concussions can come back to haunt you for years if you don't let the first one heal right....

Glad to hear youre OK now....What happened to your helmet, and the Bike?

well my helmets totalled(im good at doing that to things) and the bikes about as good as it can be fore taking a tumble at 20mph. jsut a few scratches on the bars and brake levers. and wheel go wheeling when i get my :o ranger :o (it comes with a free dh bike) . and this ones 4 wheel drive too. with a 4 liter v6.

Concussions are "dead" serious. Please take care of it, and take extreme care over the next few months to avoid additional whacks (unless you find Muhammed Ali's or Mike Tyson's situations "attractive" to you...)

I'm looking at your helmet in these pictures... Is it some kind of 'special' downhill helmet, or is it a motorcycle helmet?

Are injuries like this common in the sport?

If so, seriously consider upgrading the helmet technology... After 30 years of motorcycling and a few owwies with time to reflect, I decided the one part of my body I could not tolerate permanent damage to was my brain.... And a concussion means your brain slapped up against the skull hard enough to bruise and/or PERMANENTLY damage it. You can adapt to a little brain loss, but eventually, well.

Any other permanent injuries would suck, but as long as I could think and be myself, I could adapt. But brain damage? Please, God, no.

My mother suffers from dementia, and I honestly cannot think of anything worse - for her or for us. Arthritis? I hurts, but we can deal. Breast cancer? We could fight it and won. Loss of brain function? All you can do is cry.

Concussions are "dead" serious. Please take care of it, and take extreme care over the next few months to avoid additional whacks (unless you find Muhammed Ali's or Mike Tyson's situations "attractive" to you...)

I'm looking at your helmet in these pictures... Is it some kind of 'special' downhill helmet, or is it a <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=motorcycle%20helmet&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: motorcycle helmet'; self.ql_skeyphrase='motorcycle%20helmet'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='motorcycle%20helmet'; window.status='Search for: motorcycle helmet';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">motorcycle helmet</a>?

Are injuries like this common in the sport?

If so, seriously consider upgrading the helmet technology... After 30 years of motorcycling and a few owwies with time to reflect, I decided the one part of my body I could not tolerate permanent damage to was my brain.... And a concussion means your brain slapped up against the skull hard enough to bruise and/or PERMANENTLY damage it. You can adapt to a little brain loss, but eventually, well.

Any other permanent injuries would suck, but as long as I could think and be myself, I could adapt. But <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.qklinkserver.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=92&k=brain%20damage&st=1" onmouseover="window.status='Search for: brain damage'; self.ql_skeyphrase='brain%20damage'; if(window.event) self.ql_sevent=window.event.srcElement; self.ql_timeout = setTimeout('ql_doMouseOver(1)', 1000); self.ql_isOverLink=true; return true;" onclick="if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; ql_closeiframe(); self.ql_skeyphrase='brain%20damage'; window.status='Search for: brain damage';return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; if(self.ql_timeout) clearTimeout(self.ql_timeout); self.ql_isOverTip = false; setTimeout('ql_closeiframe()', 1500); ">brain damage</a>? Please, God, no.

My mother suffers from dementia, and I honestly cannot think of anything worse - for her or for us. Arthritis? I hurts, but we can deal. Breast cancer? We could fight it and won. Loss of brain function? All you can do is cry.

in the situation i was in a moto helmet wouldnt have done any more good. that helmets a troy lee designs D2. its the best helmet you can get without going full on moto. its not a comon injury but most riders have had one or two of them. its just part of the sport. its just like anything else. how much are you willing to risk to do the thing you love?

well heres some pics 6 days after. its healing super fast, as you can see the right one is healing faster for some reason. wich is crazy because it is waay bigger and that dark spot on it is where it was down to the bone. no more memory loss problems anymore either. im still waiting another 2 or 3 weeks till i get back on my bike though :D

both knees

Image024.jpg

right knee

Image026.jpg

left knee

Image011.jpg

Yep, no suprise... I've looked down and seen the same myself. Careful of your head, and be gentle with the knees. You don't need scar tissue in either and tendons don't heal as fast as muscle. Patience will be your friend with this one, take it from someone who has been here.

I'm sure bicycles will still exist in spring... ;)

B

well i got a race on the 11th i have to go to. im allready missing one this weekend. it mostly cuts and stuff. luckily the dec 11th race is a trail i helped build and know like the bac kof my hand and have ridden 3-4 times a week for the past year and a half