roof racks

weight weenie

Pathys don't have gutter rails like Land Cruisers and Rover Discos, but does that mean it's impossible to put 1,500 lbs on the roof like those other guys can? A roof-top tent etc. is what I have in mind. Does anyone know of a roof rack mounting system compatible with Pathfinders that can handle substantially more than the 300 lb. limit of Yakima brackets? A local rack shop guy told me I'd have to get one custom made, and even then.....

Just looking to put on a rooftop tent and then use it? You may be OK with the Yakima mounts....

Here's a little insight on engineering and weight limits...

The restrictions on a roof rack will be determined by the dynamic loads. You can put at least double that amount if it does not move.

For example, if the published load limit is 300 lbs, that means they have tested it to handle a 300 pound load while driving. A big bump turns that 300 pounds of gear into a dynamic load, meaning it will apply at least 600 pounds of force into the rack. So for them to say it can handle 300 while driving, that means it should easily handle more than 600 pounds WHILE PARKED. Avoid jumping and hyper aerobic activity in it sly and you should be fine.