Steering Box Leaking

Dowser

Hey all. As the topic states, Just after installing my 3”Suspension Lift I have a Leaky Steering Box. Yuck. Now I figured something like this was going to happen sooner or later so I’m really not surprised. I’ve looked in the Chiltons to get an Idea of what may have been the problem but there is very limited information on this section. All they show is the Gear Box as a whole, attached to the system that makes up your Steering, But does not go into any detail at all about the inner working of the Power Steering Gear Box. I have a few questions and perhaps if anyone has any information concerning this topic I may be able to solve my issues.

1) Does anyone have any Pictures or Diagrams of what the inner workings of the box are and what they look like?

2) Is it usually the same component that blows in the Box for everyone with the SL and BL or could it be virtually any component inside the box?

3) What exactly is necessary to be upgraded to the steering as a whole to put less strain on the Box?

4) Are there any aftermarket products available for either the Steering Box or the Parts necessary to relieve stress to the box?

5) From what I’ve read at the SOXC forum it appears a Lot of people have had this Power Steering Gear Box problem and it has obviously been either Overlooked by Nissan or they couldn’t be bothered to come out with a better more fitting design. Someone there mentioned that a better Design from a Toyota could be successfully transferred to an Xterra. With that in mind, perhaps the Xterra’s use the same Steering boxes as the later model Pathy’s. Is there even a difference in Steering Boxes between the Older and Newer Pathy’s? At any rate, you can see where I’m going with this question. Are there any possibilities to use a better design from any other Car manufacturer to replace a the crappy one Nissan has? (If indeed Nissan’s is indeed crappy at all. Just saying that cause it seems to be a common issue.)

6) And Finally, there has been mention that you can get the Trailmaster 4” lift in conjunction with a regular 3” lift from companies like Calmini, Superlift, etc. to give a total of 7” of Suspension Lift. Consider I may want to do something like that in Future, what would be the likely problems associated with the steering at that point and what other steps would be needed to correct it.

I would like to solve this problem Permanently. I have also included a picture of the Steering Box I am requesting Further internal details about. Any help is appreciated and thank you for your responses.

Dowser.

post-9-1132157568.jpg

Edited by Dowser

If I'm not mistaken, Dowser, didn't you DL the whole service manual from me? If so, just look in the ST section.....should have a full diagram. It's the same as the link that Filthy Luker posted. Just might save you more downloading.

Just edited my Original Post. And Simon, I dont think I did download the full service manual. The only thing I have is the Chiltons and the ECR Read outs. Thanks Luker for the Link. I'll look into it a bit. If theres anything else anyone can think of let me know.

Dowser

dowser i redid the pump and box and while ago now.

that link F L put seems pretty much on the money.

the only thing to make note of i think is, having had my and a freinds box apart, is the selector shaft shown on page 18, bottom diagram. towards the pitman arm end of the shaft theres an oil seal. the shaft is probably going to be scored and worn where that oil seal sits. you will need to get this section of the shaft re-hardchromed (you will have to look in your local phone book for hardchromers). however you must be careful to not get the whole shaft done otherwise the needle rollers located in the housing wont sit properly.

if you dont bother doing this, when you put the box back together with the new seal. it wont leak for a couple of months and then it will start leaking againand then your back to square 1.

I have to agree with SW there. My box started leaking from the seal around the main shaft this summer. I replaced the seal but the leak is still there, just not quite as bad. The shaft was noticeably pitted and rusted.

Instead of having the shaft re-hardchromed, I am planning to intall an "easy sleeve" (not sure if that is the proper name). It is a very thin sleeve that fits over the shaft and then gives the seal a smooth surface to seal tightly. I hope to be able to install it without removing or dismantling the steering box.

Brian