Rear Shocks

Trainman

When I was getting my cable chains fitted, the mechanic noted that the rear shocks are not spaced the same, one being closer to the tire than the other. Truck is an 02 with the stock 16” alloys.

Anyone else noted this and if so which side?

(Note I have not said which side, do not want to skew the feedback)

No handling problems with the truck, no known issues with the rear suspension.

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated.

Of course, I expect ALL R50 owners to running out to their Pathys and feel behind the rear tires! :laugh:

Edited by Trainman

OK, more info:

The right rear shock is about 14mm (little over 1/2") closer to the wheel than its left hand brother.

Anyone else noticed this?

Makes a big difference when fitting chains (or wider tires).

I’m assuming it is set up the same as the 2001 with the rear shock mounts dropping down from the diff., and not like the older modals with the pinch bolts. I haven’t noticed if one was closer to the tire then the other but I have noticed that one of the mounting bolts is angled more up on the passenger side then the drivers side.

Edited by Trialsin26

On a somewhat related note...I've found a suspension company based out of the UAE that makes dual-reservoir multi-valve shocks for Pathfinders. It looks like they're for the newer generation R50s, however. Trainman, could you get me a couple of detailed pictures of how the shocks mount up, and where? And one of the whole rear end? I'd very much appreciate it. :aok:

On a somewhat related note...I've found a suspension company based out of the UAE that makes dual-reservoir multi-valve shocks for Pathfinders. It looks like they're for the newer generation R50s, however. Trainman, could you get me a couple of detailed pictures of how the shocks mount up, and where? And one of the whole rear end? I'd very much appreciate it. :aok:

Is this the same company that made those pimp-azz shocks on that $80,000 R50 on Ebay posted recently?

I would love to see how much these shocks would be, definitely more than a full OME setup for sure! Do you have the prices, Dan? Do they ship to the U.S.?

I assume the newer generation means 99.5+?

No, not the same company, very similar product though. The one's on the Ebay Desert Rally R50 are made by Donerre and they've got Eibach springs installed. Not sure how they managed that one.

I'm going to try to get quotes on shocks from Proflex sometime soon. Thursday and Friday is considered the weekend in Dubai, so they will be closed for a couple days after they close this evening. I tried calling them earlier tonight (Dubai is 8 hours ahead of us here on the east coast), but got cut off. I'll send them an email.

I would imagine they ship to the US, but I'm not sure. I know some people in Dubai who could always pick up the parts from them and ship them out, too.

I've also got another little trick up my sleeve, but I'm not ready to discuss that one just yet. :D

Edited by vengeful

Luckily, I just finished puting my stock tires and rims back on for a trip out east before reading this. Using only the finest Stanley tape measure and a stolen Hello Kitty battery powered lamp from my daughters room, I get 3 and 1/4 inches from the center of the shock bolt to the stock alum rim on the right side and 3 and 1/8 on the left. Give or take a 16th of an inch. this is on an '04

On a somewhat related note...I've found a suspension company based out of the UAE that makes dual-reservoir multi-valve shocks for Pathfinders.  It looks like they're for the newer generation R50s, however.  Trainman, could you get me a couple of detailed pictures of how the shocks mount up, and where?  And one of the whole rear end?  I'd very much appreciate it.  :aok:

Hey Vengeful, sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was away.

When we fit the next set of chains, I will take some photos and post them up. Have not heard when they will be in. Stay tuned!