RUST! Now with Pictures. FINISHED

Bob

SO, I was looking around under the pathy today, and notice a nice rust hole under the gas peddle. What can i do to fix that? I dont have the means, know how, or the time to be cutting and rewelding some in. I will have it up in the air tomorrow i hope to replace shocks, I will try to snap a couple pics.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by Bob

It does not have to look got at all under it. I would just like to stop it before i can drive the pathy like Fred Flinstone.

You have to stop it. No ifs but or maybes. The job has to be done correctly too or else you will have the same issue 6 months down the track. I just hope, for your sake, that you don't find too much rust when you have it off the ground and can see under it properly.

Im going to pull back the floor and see how bad it really is tomorrow. Im hoping that it is not bad. I might come up with some time to fix it tomorrow. What do you guy think i should do to stop it right the first time?

There's a couple TSB's out on this - one specifically addressing rust on the driver's side floor pan. I'd recommend getting a hold of these as it addresses very specific repair procedures that will insure the job is done right.

If you want the TSB's, PM me & I'll get 'em to you.

There's a couple TSB's out on this - one specifically addressing rust on the driver's side floor pan. I'd recommend getting a hold of these as it addresses very specific repair procedures that will insure the job is done right.

If you want the TSB's, PM me & I'll get 'em to you.

PM'ed you

Thanks

Bob

grind out the rust, smear a sheet of aluminum with roofing cement and pop-rivet it in place, smear the bottom side of the truck with some form of undercoating and throw a floor mat down on the inside. Sealed and supportive. and cheap.

I've got a similar hole. I'm going to use 2 sheets of metal, and sandwich the hole with them. It'll be overkill, but should be more sturdy than one sheet. I'll prep them before hand with high temp primer and paint, then I'll coat them in POR-15 and rivet them in place. I'll let you know how it goes. I may even take a few pictures!! :D

I was talking to my step dad this morning, hes going to help me fix it. We will be cutting it out and then using a tig welder to weld in a new sheet of metal. I think we are going to hold in place from the bottem weld it from the top and cover it with undercoating top and bottem. We will see how that works out.

Bob

Heres a pic of mine after my fix(this is my 88):

underpedalfiberglassed.jpg

Obviously mine had been overlooked by the previous owner. I didn't even notice it untill I went to remove the carpet (to bedline the floors, no carpet). Check the passenger side in the same spot, mine was rusted there as well. There are 3 main joints that rust out, the fronts, the ones in the middle of the rear seat floorboard, and where the cargo area meets the rear seat back. All of those had rusted completely out in mine. Not to mention the typical under the back seat rust that everyone seems to get.

man do i feel luckt, i havent found any rust anywhere on my truck, probably because there was so much oil and stuff leaking everwhere and now that ive been in and out of water and play around and changed the fluids it doesnt leak anymore, but now ill go out and find the most ruct out of anyone here, lol

I got the interior out and got some pics takin, this is what i have to deal with. I hope i can have the car together tonight so i can drive to schoool tomorrow.

passenger side looks really good.

DSCF0555.jpg

Driver side not so good.

DSCF0551.jpg

And reasons I will not let anyone eat in my car! There is food everywhere in there. At least I found some money for my time (59 cents)

DSCF0554.jpg

DSCF0553.jpg

DSCF0552.jpg

Edited by Bob

:o Mine stayed more local to the seam then that, but went all the way accross. I noticed some of mine were well hidden under the sound deadening material. Looked small at first, then pealed away the asphalt and there was nothing under it.

I hope to have it finished up tomorrow. I cut a big peice out to find good metal. I bought some thin 12g strips of steal to make reinforcement braces. then used some heavey duties steel for the patch. As of right now its riveted in, Im going to weld the rest of it together tomorrow. I will put up pix when im done.

Yow !! Thats quite a hole !! Remind me never to live in the snow/salt/rust states !! Glad you caught it before you fell through, and sounds like you are fixing it right. Please do share the picts !! Good luck !

B

Mine was almost that big. LAst time I used some heavy screening, and fibreglass reinforced bondo to fix it. That was just temporary. It's held up pretty well though.

Here is a picture before it was welded up. kinda looks like a good job with the holes covered in duct tape.

DSCF0556.jpg

Here is the finished project. The floors where really hard to weld. I kept burning through and making the holes bigger.I put some primer on it. then went in from the bottem used some silicone to fill and gaps for water to get into then then put some rubberized under coating on it. I think it turned out pretty good for my first time. Yeah i know it looks like crap but it gets the job done.

DSCF0557.jpg

Edited by Bob

Better than I could have done. I've never welded in my life... :shrug: I'd guess that'll do just fine for a long time. It's a lot better than the damage/hole in my truck (maybe 1/10 as bad as what you fixed). I just hope your heel doesn't rest on a seam, that might be uncomfortable. Doesn't look like it though... :beer:

B

(maybe 1/10 as bad as what you fixed).

Well, thats what I thought before I looked again... Mine's actually at least as bad... :(

Edited by Precise1

I put some fiber stuff down (dont remeber the name of it), Its like of like a foam and its fire proof. That took up most of the uneven levels. Now i just have to finish putting the thing back together before the snow flys on tuesday ( I dont have a garage to work in right now). They are saying 4 to 8 inches of snow and i need tires.