RPM's got me miffed....

Slick

:furious: ok. So.. I used the search function.. couldn't find this problem..and it just started yesterday.

I had fluctuating rpm problems for about a month. Ok..fine..so I cleaned the MAF sensor. Cool beans..everything was fine..for a week.. until yesterday... then.. after a 55 mile drive to my brothers.. I get to a stop sign..put clutch in..come to a slow stop...and my rpm's shot to 1800 and stayed there until I put ehr in first and moved! :furious: so.. I think this is just a glitch.. everything was fine going through the gears.. no hang ups.... stop at bros.. again.. put clutch in.. rollup to park... and BAM! right back up to 1800 rpm again!

Left.. drove 50 more miles.. nada, perfect..no problem... did it twice more b 4 getting home. Every time it did this, I had pushed the clutch in but was rolling to a stop.... or stopped..with foot on clutch. Could the clutch be causing some sensor or another to trip the high rpm's? She runs perfect besides..and I have my smog test coming up and don't want this happening.

FYI.. 5 speed, 4 door 1992 Pathy for those who don't know. Also, for those who don't know that I had the motor out in Feb '05 and did the headers, h2o pump, t-belt- o2 sensor, t-stat, plug wires, plugs, and a few other things, so there should be no reason for this sudden glitch. Cleaning the MAF solved the sporradic rom problem on start up and idle..and now this! ARGH!!! P...

This might not be your problem, but you can try it.

With your rig off, try moving your throtle body butterfly (Spin the halfmoon where the throtle cable goes around). See if it moves freely. If it seems to stick slightly, your throttle body needs to be cleaned. You can use regualr carb cleaner to clean it by taking your air breather off. I know it is a common problem with the older pathys. Usually you will also start noticing this happening when first pressing the accelerator, the accelerator seems to be sorta jammed, hard to push in.

Denis

DenisB: I had cleaned all that when I had,had the motor out, but I can check again fer sure.. I'll look again.

I get no error codes... and it hasn't done it since (except when cold the rpms are high 1100-1800).... my fan clutch wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?? (looking for anything right now) cuz I know that's on the way out.... :wacko:

Thanks guys :aok:

There's two times something like this has happened to me; One time when I was messing with the TPS (do manuals even have a TPS?) and another time recently right after I Seafoamed the the engine through a vac hose and the idle RPM's stayed above 1200 for about a week. I finally unplugged the battery to reset the ECU and the idle went down to about 950 - still a little high, but better than it was.

I've also noticed a temporary increase in RPM's after cleaning my MAF and it's connector, but that usually goes back down after a couple of starts. :shrug:

Slick did you ever get this sorted? I've got the same symptoms on a '91 V6 with MT. I've done the obvious fixes just like you. Mine seems more intermittent.

M

mine seems ok for now. cold start she'll be at around 1200rpm... warm 500 steady.... checked all vaccum lines and connections.. nada amiss.... :wacko:

she will be getting a thorough chek before her smog test next week.... make sure i leave nothing to chance.. don't need that happening during the low rpm part of the test.... :mellow:

Something(s) is contributing to this condition. I'm just lucky we don't have smog checks where I live in the midwest, yet. I still live in an attainment area as per the Clean Air Act. However, I still demand that my vehicles perform at optimum levels. Please post if you find something(s) on your deep dive. Here's to ya!

M

I will definitely repport.. it is hard because it is random.... sometimes the rpm's fluctuate.. sometimes they just go up and stay up.. but i noticed it did it when i was slowly depressing the clutch coing to a stop.. while shifting on the freeway.. the rpms shot down straight away... is there a sensor of some sort that tells the motor the clutch is being depressed or whut? wondering if there is anytihng connected between the two.... -study-

hey slick stupid question but does the engine noise coincide with a rise in rpms? I only suggest this because I have a problem with my tacho needle actually bending in the hot summer and it sticks to the tacho dial giving me incorrect readings. I have to pull the cluster out every winter and bend it back so my tacho needle moves again.

hey slick stupid question but does the engine noise coincide with a rise in rpms? I only suggest this because I have a problem with my tacho needle actually bending in the hot summer and it sticks to the tacho dial giving me incorrect readings. I have to pull the cluster out every winter and bend it back so my tacho needle moves again.

not stupid question. The rpms to motor sound (my speedo has been broke since i bought my pathy) are in sync.. so i know it's not that... but yeah.. i have seen cases where the needles bend and it screws everything up :aok: