sunroof controls have gone hybrid on 01 LE

Sierra Cement

Before i start digging into this i thought i'd see if anyone else has come across this problem. The sunroof on my 01 LE has dual controls, one to just pop the rear of the sunroof vertically and one to slide it open and shut horizontally. Somehow they have mated and both buttons do both actions, wouldnt be so bad but, when pressing the horizontal open/shut button it only moves the glass in 3 inch increments like the vertical rear popup button. Now i have to press it 8 times to fully open or close the sunroof. Any ideas?

yes siree, my thoughts exactly, but where??????? i suppose i'll start on the roof control panel and work backward from there. ? . ? i am pretty clueless when it comes to automotive electrical.

interestingly, i found out that it started the same day my wife bought a new smart key at the dealer and had the old and new keys reprogrammed to start the car. i assumed that was a non invasive process, but is it possible they bumped some wiring or something in the process? not sure what is involved to reprogram the ignition and the keys..... if i knew it might give me a location to look for the short/crossover.

any thoughts appreciated..

Your sunroof may be in "safety mode". If the sunroof mechanism detects a blockage against the mechanism, it will cause the glass to move in short spurts. Using the sliding control (not the one that just pops it open) close the sunroof completely. Release the button, and then hold the button as though you were still closing the sunroof for 10 seconds. This should cause it to reset, and start working.

This happened to me a couple weeks ago. I think it's the changing temperature messing with the viscosity of the grease the roof slides on.

well, no luck yet. the thing is, the sliding button when fully closed, continues to work. when i release it then press it again, it doesnt just stay closed, it crosses over into button 2 function and raises the sunroof rear edge. am i missing something or is this a seperate issue?

No, this is *exactly* what happened to me, I'm just trying to remember how I fixed it... LOL

You may have to hold the button in when you get it to the right spot, or when you get it entirely open. I do know, however, that holding the button is how you reset it.