Crazy Belts...WTH!

headpeace

so battery is goin out, I can tell cuz its just not crankin like it used to. I go and get a new one, go to put iti in, get it in, look around and WTF,I see this (twisted belt). Then I look deeper and holy shiite belt is gone around the alternator ( I think, is it low on the driver side ?), So I look further and found the broken belt layin on the skid plate. I woulda posted the rest of the pix but Im not smart enough to do multiple pix in one post

:(

I hope this dam pik works......

so, the belt on the skid had no teeth, u guys think the bearings crapped out on the alternator and killed my belt? How hard is it to change these belts, and the alternator (arrrgg)?

post-9-1129247468.jpg

Edited by headpeace

Take the skid plate off and turn the alt by hand from underneath. It's a stupid location to put an alt, but it is easy to work on. Even easier if you remove the shroud. Since the belt's already off, check 'er out and report back.

If you threw the Alt belt, all on the internal lights will come on when the battery gets low enough. Or if it is still there and loose, when running its pulling the extra juice it needs from the batt.

If a piece of it got caught on one of the other pulleys, it could possibly twist the belt that is on there. If the Belt is Loose/Worn wierd things can happen too.

You can swap out all 3 belts in 30 min or less P...

1st belt on is the Alt and Fan

2nd belt is the AC and the center Pully(loosen the pulley nut) :confused:

3rd belt is the Power Steering

Edited by Casey.T

lol,

Do you have the front skid plate off??

If so, get underneth and look up, think its 12 mm, you also have to loosen the upper and lower mounting bolts, do not remove them.

You can reach it from the top, but its easier on the bottom side, and if you drop the socket, skids gets to come off anyways:)

yeah, skid has been off for a long time, Igot all the shiite loose accordind to chiltons -thnkboutit- , but the dam thing wont farkin budge, even with P... ;AAARRRGGHH, it shouldnt be this hard

it shouldnt be this hard

It SHOULDN'T be that hard at all. I've messed with the ALT a ton of times on my pathy already and all you need to do is loosen those bolts up and BAM!!! You should be good.

There are two (2) bolts on the top of the ALT and the one on the bottom is connected to a screw that you use for tightening when you get that new shiney belt on there. Loosen the top two, take the bottom one out completly, push the ALT towards the pass side, put the new belt on, push the ALT back toward the driver side, put it all back together and tighten the belt to the proper.....tight...en...ness???

Rami

yep, Rami u were right, but mine only had one bolt on top. I figured if the bottom bolt was loose, in theorythe dam thing outa move (with the top bolt loose of course), but it wouldnt move at all until I took the bottom bolt completely out, it doesnt make since but it worked :clap:

Heres another question, I couldnt get the power steering pump, even with the adjusting bolt all the way off to move far enough to get the new belt on, anyone experience that before? Anyway I was able to get the old power steering belt back on with much effort so I called it a day, now time for a :allclean:

preciate the help :beer: