Header problems vs. New Manifolds

robbie

Drivers side, rear. Between 2nd and 3rd cylinder.

Could also have to do with heat shielding for the TBI air cleaner warm air system? Since I do need to pass smog, I may not be able to use this set... :sniff:

Anyone got any Pics of where they moved their Oil filter too? Is there only one possible option for this or several? And if several any Suggestions since the the Thorley's are going on?

Dowser

95pathfinder1443wx.jpg

95pathfinder1450ri.jpg

Why did I mount it in the wheelwell? Several reasons.

One, it leaves the engine bay much less cluttered than if you put it behind the fuel filter. If you look at MaritimeMan's or Slick's, I don't know for sure but I don't think they can change their oil without undoing the bracket (Slick's I know is like that for sure).

Two, the oil filter can shed heat much easier in the wheelwell because the air is constantly moving and moving fast. A cooler filter means cooler oil which means longer engine life.

Three, you can't fit the Ford V8 filter (like I used) in the engine bay. Cleanly, anyways. Why use a V8 filter? It holds more oil, and more oil also contributes to lower overall oill temperature. I bumped up from 3.5 quarts to 5 quarts. It's not just the filter but the length of hose that adds to the huge capacity. I almost used all of the supplied hose. Remember that you cannot use more than supplied. I do not know what happens if you do, maybe 88 could answer that question.

And four, I'm pretty sure I can cut my old oil change record time in half and without burning myself. You are supposed to change the oil when the engine is warm, but I think everyone else does it while it's cool because of the stock filter location. But I've done it while it's warm and I have permenant burn marks on my left hand from it. Perma-Cool solves this problem.

Prepare for some fairly merciless mocking because you're using a Fram filter.

But not from me I got nothing against Fram filters.

Better hope that the filter seals extremely well, specially if you plan to play in any mud holes!

I really like that option for all the reasons you stated.

I think I will plagiarize your idea but with a couple modifications:

- Some kind of grommet in the hole the hoses go through to reduce chances of vibration slowly wearing through hose. Could get messy! A piece of slit vaccuum hose slipped over the sheet metal edge and glued on with SWA (Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, AKA gorilla snot) works really well!

- Some kind of vented rock guard to protect the whole thing from rocks. We drive a lot in the desert, and the big lugged off road tires tend to pick up and hurl a lot of debris. The odds of one actually hitting and cracking the cast aluminum body is pretty slim, but it is possible and I'm not one to take chances 300 miles from the nearest tow truck! I'm thinking some 1" angle iron framework around the bracket and hoses, and some kind of heavy gauge mesh "skirt" extending down around the filter to protect the filter from sharp rock punctures. Leaving just enough room to attach a filter wrench, of course!

I like everything about it other than 1 fact. That it is located in the front corner, an extremely weak and vulnerable place. Any number of mishaps could endanger it. I'd much rather be able to drive away from something after crowbaring the fender away from the tire rather than trying to figure out how to repair critical oil lines. You get the point. Maybe I'm overdoing it, but thats my thoughts. :shrug:

B

Mine is great. I Engineered the bracket so that 1, the filter is up and away from the rest of the stuff, and two, can be changed without having to remove the bracket. I still cut my oil change time in half, but (gasp) I still have to lift the bonnet.

bl0084ls.jpg

It looks clutered in the pic, but thats due to the low angle. If you llok from on top, its wide open all the way back to the firewall.

Yes, nice job MM... What size U bolts did you need again ?? Saw some at the local ACE that would fit. :D

WheelmanLS1, unfortunately, it doesn't take much to crumple a corner on these, the bumpers are a joke. Take a look at the sheet metal and the reinforcement structure... Not very impressive. I prefer my 4x4 to be the simplest and toughest I can realistically make it. If I put one in, I'd keep it in the engine bay.

B

STFU I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vallejo has 3 hardware stores, including a Yard Birds and Home Pot. Every single one had nothing near what I was lookin for, and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked about availability.