high idle

parthy

my motor is idling at about 900 rpm tryed to slow it with the idle screw on the throttel body but that only made it stick dont know mutch about these computer cars use to carby jobs screwed the one under the throttel body but that just reduced the cold idle :help: :shrug: ( the book said it should idle at 750 rpm )thanks guys regards ken

The truck should idle at 900rpm until the engine is warm. The ECM reads the engine coolant temperature sensor value. Is your check engine light on?

no the light is not it idles at 900 when hot about 1200 when cold :hide:

Go over the motor and make sure all the vaccuum hoses are tight and right. That's a good place to start. Next place to look is temp sensors and cleaning your MAF sensor. Changed your air filter lately? KISS...

wear's the TEMP SENSOR and what the hell is the MAF SENSOR and wear is it as i said earler i grew up with carbys and ignition points and old diesel's but you show me were it is and i will have a go at it P... sly

thanks guys

The MAF sensor is a squarish part screwed into the intake duct immediately outside the air cleaner box. Remove the two screws and the electrical connector, then carefully pull the MAF sensor out.

GENTLY clean the small elements with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol. Do not break the wire elements! The MAF sensor costs about $400.

The ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor is located on the engine where the upper radiator hose attaches. There are two sensors there. The one closer to the radiator is the sensor for the temperature gauge, and the one further back is the ECT sensor.

You might also consider removing the intake hose on the throttle body and spraying some throttle body/carb cleaner into the butterfly valve and throttle body to clean out any gunk that's in there.

Edited by XPLORx4

Thanks XPLORx4 i will give it a go at the weekend :aok:

It would be good if someone could write all these gozmos up and put them in the pinned section :type:

Edited by parthy

The MAF sensor is a squarish part screwed into the intake duct immediately outside the air cleaner box. Remove the two screws and the electrical connector, then carefully pull the MAF sensor out.

GENTLY clean the small elements with a cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol. Do not break the wire elements! The MAF sensor costs about $400.

The ECT (engine coolant temperature) sensor is located on the engine where the upper radiator hose attaches. There are two sensors there. The one closer to the radiator is the sensor for the temperature gauge, and the one further back is the ECT sensor.

You might also consider removing the intake hose on the throttle body and spraying some throttle body/carb cleaner into the butterfly valve and throttle body to clean out any gunk that's in there.

An't got a ECT The back hole has never been taped must be diffrent down here in oz :secret: Thanks for your help anyway explorx4 cleand out the throttel body got heaps of gunk out of it ' it seems to be a bit better now i think if i have another go at it i will get it right next time :aok: I now have some throttel body cleaner had to use metho last time . :allclean: I also cleand the MAF with metho dont know if that made any diffrence though :shrug:

regards ken

Not sure if you have the same setup, but on the side of the throttle body there is a thermo-element that keeps the idle speed up until the coolant warms up, then should fully retract allowing the fast idle cam to rest on the stop. Make sure that is fully retracting when warm.