a few questions

lovebunny

ok so my pathy needs a new O2 sensor. but its getting 175 miles to a tank right now aswell. is there probly something else wrong with it too? also. i need new shocks. but i want to lift it in the future. can i lift it with stock shocks?

Shocks: Yes, you can put new taller springs in without changing the shocks or struts. However, if you don't replace the rear shocks with slightly longer ones then you won't get as much flex while wheeling. You truck will ride a little higher, but you'll get "stock" flex.

For the front struts, you don't have to replace them, but if they're old you may as well replace the struts because the amount of labor required to replace the springs is the same as to replace the struts and springs. (It would be like rebuilding your bike's bottom bracket, but instead of using fresh grease on the bearings, reusing the old grease.) You'll also probably want to replace the strut bearings too.

O2 sensor: Do you know which O2 sensor is bad? If it's one of the front sensors, the computer will run the engine in "open loop" fuel control instead of using the sensors to control the ideal fuel/air ratio. "Open loop" is usually very rich, which can reduce fuel economy and potentially damage the catalytic converters. If you're getting only 175 miles per tank (that's probably less than 10mpg), with today's gas prices, a new sensor will pay for itself in just a few hundred miles.

If it's a rear O2 sensor, it shouldn't affect fuel economy. There may be something else wrong. The engine may benefit from a tuneup.

Edited by XPLORx4

Shocks: Yes, you can put new taller springs in without changing the shocks or struts. However, if you don't replace the rear shocks with slightly longer ones then you won't get as much flex while wheeling. You truck will ride a little higher, but you'll get "stock" flex.

For the front struts, you don't have to replace them, but if they're old you may as well replace the struts because the amount of labor required to replace the springs is the same as to replace the struts and springs. (It would be like rebuilding your bike's bottom bracket, but instead of using fresh grease on the bearings, reusing the old grease.) You'll also probably want to replace the strut bearings too.

ahh cool thanks for putting it n a way i can understand. so i think im gonna go ahead and get the new shocks aswell. some bastard ran into my pathy when we were eating last night. now the right front fenders all banged up :furious:

Damn that sucks man.

Can anyone guesstimate or from experience tell me how long the average KYB GR-2 strut lasts? I've had mine for a year and a half now and they are still pretty stiff. I'm just comtemplating whether or not when I lift it, I should get new struts.