Free wheel'n R50

parthy

Hi guys i have a pathfinder R50 with all mode transfer case

was wondering if i could fit free wheeling hubs and use them when in two wheel drive mode to save wear and tear on the cv joints & boots plus mite save some fuel

regards ken :shrug:

I got the AllMode 4wd as well. I note a distinct gain in fuel economy by going in 2wd rather than Auto (no brainer there, I would think). Where I live (land of igloos and snow 11 months of the year :lol: ) the AllMode is a god send. I work in the woods in forestry and use my Pathy as my bush truck. It has 82,000 km now with no issues on cv boots or any other drive line parts.

I like your idea though, let us know how it works, I am sure a few people here will chip in with their thoughts/experiences.

Yes, you could put manual hubs on, but be sure to use them ONLY with 2WD mode. If you use All-mode (Auto 4WD) and accidentally have the hubs unlocked, you could seriously damage the drivetrain. The fuel economy savings, if any, with manual hubs and 2WD may not be significant enough over stock/2WD to warrant the purchase of manual hubs or the risk of being forgetful and using all-mode with the hubs unlocked...

But if you rarely use all-mode, and can always remember to lock the hubs in anything except 2WD, it could be worth it to experiment. Just don't be disappointed if you don't see any real gains.

Thank's guy's I will have to think about it :confused: just in case some goose get's in and stuff's around with the switch :furious: and i don't know could cause some hassels :help: . I think if I had a set off hubs i would probley try it but not to go out and buy a set just for the exprement :aok:

regards ken