I know city miles are not that great.....

BigBikeMike

I was thinking of getting a part time job as a pizza delivery guy. I figure, I can use my extra key, and just leave my truck running and lock it when i'm at the door. That why I won't be turning it on and off all the time.

But would driving around the city all the time be detrimental?

Other that the battery and starter use, warm starts don't hurt the truck, it's the cold starts that do the most wear. When they sold Pathfinders, they didn't have a sticker on them "for highway use only"... ;) Most of the Pathys around here spend a lot of time in city and traffic; not seen one broken down yet. Just drive mellow. If you have a stick, try driving 1/2 a block, then slipping it into neutral and coasting the rest of the way while idling if there is a stop ahead. Brakes are the cheapest/easiest to replace and it seems to help slightly with the milage. :D

B

Other that the battery and starter use, warm starts don't hurt the truck, it's the cold starts that do the most wear. When they sold Pathfinders, they didn't have a sticker on them "for highway use only"... ;) Most of the Pathys around here spend a lot of time in city and traffic; not seen one broken down yet. Just drive mellow. If you have a stick, try driving 1/2 a block, then slipping it into neutral and coasting the rest of the way while idling if there is a stop ahead. Brakes are the cheapest/easiest to replace and it seems to help slightly with the milage. :D

B

Things dont break when they are on, things break when they are turned on or off. Thats what I always go on :) Just like the military, thats why they never turn off their Hummers.

That, or I am a total fool :D

And yes, I do drive a stick, and thats how I usually drive in the city anyway. I also do a lot of engine braking to slow down toward the end of the block

Just like the military, thats why they never turn off their Hummers.

Thats 'cause they are american cars, they might not start if you turn them off... :P Actually, I understand about the off and on thing, but it's not THAT bad. Depends how often I guess.

Compression braking puts a load (=strain) on the engine, but in the opposite direction, the drive train included. To me that means wear/slop both directions rather then mainly 1. While I will let the motor wind down sometimes, I prefer to use the brakes and rarely downshift to compression brake. Maybe I'm just being screwy, but thats way way I see it. :shrug:

B

The military Hummers are also diesel. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't repeated start/stops harder on a diesel? Or at least more demanding on fuel?

I also thought that was a usual thing for semi drivers to do with their rigs. Slick, care to chime in?

The military Hummers are also diesel. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't repeated start/stops harder on a diesel? Or at least more demanding on fuel?

I also thought that was a usual thing for semi drivers to do with their rigs. Slick, care to chime in?

yeah that's the way i understand it.. starters in big rigs are as expensive as some of the trucks here.. plus big riggers live in their rigs and need power for microwaves, tvs, toys.. ahem B)

construction equiment tends to be diesel also and it runs from 7am-till end of day.. also to start a diesel you have to compress the fuel hard when we gassers get help from the spark.. it's kind of like starting in gear (manual) all the time... that'd wear your starter fast..

I work at a pizzaria and I sometimes run deliveries. Of course I usually only do one or none a night...

Right now I'd be more worried about spending more on gas then you're getting paid. :P

Compresion braking in a manual is fine and the amount of strain it puts on engine and drivetrain is accounted for when the truck is built. However compression braking in an auto is a whole other story.

I deliver Chinese food. My average is 8 or 9 deliveries a night. My record is 20 in one night.

Anyways, about a fourth or a third of my tips goes into gas (gas in total, not just gas used on the job), and that's with me slamming the pedal to the floor all of the time... I take my job seriously. :D On top of that, I get paid $8 an hour and $1 for each delivery. I've decided to go to college around here so I can keep my awesome job.

I don't know what kind of area you live in, but my area crime-wise is pretty tame but I still would never leave the truck running. I set the alarm and everything. Smart criminals knows that I have $60 from tickets in my car... that's why robbing the delivery guy is such a popular thing in big citys.