dealer inspection fee?

rokris8079

Well I called corporate nissan and they said my manifolds on my 97 pathfinder are covered until 100k or january of 06. I just tripped 99k on the ODO so I want to have them looked at. Will the stealership charge me for just looking at them. I am getting some hints that they might be cracked. I get a loud ticking when she's cold. Is there anything I can say to the stealership so that I won't be charged any kind of inspection fee? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

There should be no fee if you suspect the manifolds are cracked. When you take it in, tell the service advisor you hear a "ticking sound" coming from the exhaust manifolds when the engine is cold. Inform them that you're aware that the manifolds are warranty-covered to 100K miles, and ask how long it will take to fix the problem.

Be careful.. stealership here told me there was no leak, that the ticking noise was my timing AND they charged me 70 bucks to look at it. I screamed but they only reduced it to 40. I was irate.

Well I just got off the phone with the stealership. They said the inspection is free. They also said that the studs aren't covered so if there is a crack I will still have to pay for the studs and the labor to remove them and put them pack in. He said it would be about $100-$125. The earliest appointment I could get is oct 5. The pathy just tripped 99k so I hope I can get it in there before I go over the milage.

Does anyone have a sound bite of what this ticking is? My 98 about 1 time every 20-30 starts ticks fairly loud for about 4 seconds then is all gone...I do not use a fram oil filter i use the Napa gold as prescribed ( ;) ), do you guys think that this is an oil pump prob or is this the manifold ticking?

Does anyone have a sound bite of what this ticking is?  My 98 about 1 time every 20-30 starts ticks fairly loud for about 4 seconds then is all gone...I do not use a fram oil filter i use the Napa gold as prescribed ( ;) ), do you guys think that this is an oil pump prob or is this the manifold ticking?

Nah, guys have complained about that ticking for a long time, but its not the manifold. The manifold ticking is a fairly high pitched tick tick tick tick sound that goes for a couple minutes until things heat up. $100-150 is cheap to replace the studs in my book, as I paid like $900 to do multiple broken studs in both sides. I was way over 100K miles anyways. Serious PITA, and I wasn't gonna deal with it. But word is you need to print off the results of some web searches, etc. to show that you know what you're talking about, then have a long conversation with the service dept. and in the end lean on them a bit to do the job. Sounds worth the effort though instead of having to pay.

*Edit!: this would be in reference to a WD21, but from what I've heard is similar/same to the R50 experience.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

They also said that the studs aren't covered so if there is a crack I will still have to pay for the studs and the labor to remove them and put them pack in.

Anything the dealership tells you on what is covered and not covered make sure you verify with Nissan corporate. My local dealership completely denied the warranty covered my 97. I had to work entirely through Nissan corporate to get everything covered and get documentation faxed to the dealership to cover the repairs.