HELP!

Guest strudeau

Guest strudeau

Let me start my saying I am not very mechanically inclined, However you guys have talked me through changing my starter (1993 path) and an AC compressor (1998 path).

To the point. I have been having issues for the last six months were I will be driving and my 98 path SE 4x4 will start jerking, the rpms shoot up, and the car does not seem to want to accelerate however it did not seem to last long and I could continue on my way (and I am not trying to accelerate although the car sounds like I just slammed on the accelerator...reeves).

Anyway, today my car starts jerking like crazy and when I step on the gas it seems as if nothing is happening. When I come to a stop at a light or street sign the car dies. Some how I was able to gimp it back to the house jerk...jerk...jerk...die...jerk...jerk...jerk...die (you get the point). It seems like my gas is having a difficult time flowing through the system.

Questions:

1. Does this indeed sound like a fuel pump issue or is their something else I should try first?

2. Is changing out the fuel pump something I should tackle?

3. If not...what should I expect this to cost at a garage?

I sure thank you in advance!

God Bless,

Scott

I would start by replacing the fuel filter.

If the problem persists, the fuel pump could be failing, but to be sure you (or a mechanic) would probably need to test the fuel pressure and do some other checks to determine whether it's really the fuel pump.

The problem could be elsewhere, though, not in the fuel system.

Guest strudeau

Ok, took the car out this evening and watched what was going on very closely. It turns out that the RPMs are not jumping they are dropping. Sometime from 3000 rpm to 0...this is usually when the car dies. The Check Engine Light is ON. I do not have to be going very fast for this to happen. When I am driving at a steady pace the car starts to hesitate...herky...jerky style and sometimes dies. When I start to slow down when coming to a stop the car dies and the instrument panel goes nuts. Check Engine Light, Check Oil, etc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Scott

Guest strudeau

Where is the fuel pump located on a 98 4x4 pathy? Any special directions. I read something about releasing the fuel pressure.

Thanks,

Scott

First things first. Find out what the error code is. It may have nothing to do with the fuel system.

But since you asked, the fuel pump is inside the fuel tank. If you lift the left rear seat, you can see where the electrical harness (for the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender) goes into the fuel tank. The opening is also where you would pull the fuel pump from the tank. If you want to release pressure on the fuel line (such as when you replace the fuel filter that's attached to the body above the rear differential) just remove the fuel pump fuse behind the coin tray, and crank the engine until it won't start.

Edited by XPLORx4

I would start by replacing the fuel filter.

Sorry I did not see this before I replied to the posting in the garage, and I thought I was being so smart. :lol:

strudeau, you may want to delete the other posting, just keep it all in one place so it can help others with similar problems. :)

Edited by Trainman