Antenna Replacement

geoff

I am heading to the junk yard tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone can tell me, what kind of antenna from other vehicles will fit my Pathy? I have a 93 SE. Its supposed to be an automatic antenna but it has never worked since I have owned the vehicle. It just stays up. Recently I was out at dinner at Azteca and some drunk ***hole decided to make my antenna into a piece of twisty art. I shoved it down some after straightening it out but now its cracked in half and yesterday while driving it almost competely fell off.

I know this may sound like an ignorant question but any help would be great. Also, is it hard to change them out? I dont need an automatic one, just a normal one is fine. I have no idea how much they cost new. Thanks guys.

Some pathfinder models use a diversity antenna. That would be a little orangish/brownish line going up the middle of your windshield (mines got one). I'm not sure if this affects what kind of metal antenna you can get. Also note there's a lot more to disconnecting the antenna than just unbolting the screw that holds it in. Here are instructions as to how to disconnect an antenna (from Crutchfield):

1. Remove reciever.

2. Open glovebox, push on sides allowing box to drop and remove a retaining pin on each hinge side.

3. Remove 6 screws and remove panel behind glovebox.

4. Remove back portion of inner fender cover by removing the phillips screws.

5. Remove one phillips screw from the top of the antenna.

6. Pull antenna lead out through fender.

NOTE: If a diversity antenna is present, be sure to disconnect both connectors located inside vehicle at base of pillar. (see attached photo)

NOTE: Save rubber grommet to put on new antenna lead.

7. Route new antenna lead through firewall. Make sure grommet seats properly.

8. Make antenna connection. Reinstall reciever by reversing removal steps.

9. Reinstall glovebox by reversing removal steps.

10. Resecure inner fender cover.

Hope this helps!

post-9-1126383654.jpg

This "might" offer some info one what a Diversity Antenna system tries to accomplish...

VPR's Guide to Good Reception

:::Cached Google page to make it easier to navigate:::

"The diversity system uses two antennas on the car and constantly compares reception on both, switching the better one to the radio. This eliminates about 80-90% of the multi-path picket fence distortion of a moving vehicle."